Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brickman258

brickman258

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:09 AM

How do I change my spell check in Outlook Express from French to English?
When I bought the new computer, with XP Pro. it worked in English but now everything is in French. NEED HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:23 AM

It's happened because you upgraded from an earlier version of Office to Office 2007. The old spell checker files that used to work fine with Outlook Express were replaced by the newer versions which are incompatible with the free email program. Installing the later versions of Office will substitute the old English, Spanish and German spell check dictionaries with the new ones. Thus, when you now use Outlook Express the old French dictionary is picked up because the new English dictionary just doesn't work with the email client.

What you need to do is reinstall the older the proofing tools that work with Outlook Express. You can get them from Office 2003 CD or that of any other application that utilized them such as FrontPage or Publisher. And here is how you do it.
Close Outlook Express windows and put in the Office 2003 CD and choose the custom install option. Do not install any program just check the options at the bottom of the programs listing. Select the Office Shared Features in the next screen and locate the Proofing Tools list. Pick the English dictionary and install. Restart the email program and Outlook Express will have English Spell checker.

On the other hand, as recommended by Microsoft itself, the best way to get back the English dictionary in Outlook Express from the French one that you see now, is to use a third party program - a dictionary developed by another company.

Above quote reference here.

Please refer to the Microsoft Answers article here.

Hope it helps :thumbup2:
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#3 brickman258

brickman258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

I do not have a 2003 CD...my computer was preloaded with Office, XP Pro service pack 2... I have since installed service pack 3.. I do have the Office Home and Student 2007 CD that came with my computer.
When I bought this computer, Vista was already out, but I wanted and was able to get XP Pro from Dell, not sure what version I have. I was able to install service pack 3 with no problems, except no spell check. I can buy a 2003 suite, but I don't want to pay the $139.00.

Will the 2007 CD work? Will I have to install service pack 3 again? Will I have spell check?

#4 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:48 AM

I do not have a 2003 CD...my computer was preloaded with Office, XP Pro service pack 2... I have since installed service pack 3.. I do have the Office Home and Student 2007 CD that came with my computer.
When I bought this computer, Vista was already out, but I wanted and was able to get XP Pro from Dell, not sure what version I have. I was able to install service pack 3 with no problems, except no spell check. I can buy a 2003 suite, but I don't want to pay the $139.00.

Will the 2007 CD work? Will I have to install service pack 3 again? Will I have spell check?

Outlook Express cannot use the MS Word spell check in Office 2007. Downloading a free spell check is the simplest way around this.

Vampirefo Spell Check.

Download it from:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952

Or download it from:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spelloe.html

Or you may like TinySpell. (Checks the spelling as you type).

Download it here:
http://www.tinyspell.m6.net/

Australian English Spell Check
(Also suitable for other English speaking countries.)
http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oespellcheck/

If you have a previous version of Office, see this:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061228.htm

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#5 brickman258

brickman258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the advice...I have the new spell check program running, seems to be working OK.

#6 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the advice...I have the new spell check program running, seems to be working OK.

You are most welcome, I'm glad I could help.

All the best!

#RESOLVED#

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users