Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Check dist malfunction-Cannot open volume for direct access

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ranadagger

ranadagger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:42 AM

Dear Sir/Madam

I get warning to check my disk due to some errors in it, however when i run check disk, the PC shows me a message of
"Cannot open volume for Direct Access" and then it aborts it checking.

I have tried googling this problem and could find some solutions related to some of the softwares like zone alarm or spyware doctor.however i donot have both of them in my pc. have tried using commands for checkdisk through command prompt but no use.

Would be grateful if you could help me in sorting out this problem.

with warm regards

ranadagger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

Is there more to the message?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

Worth a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823439 .

Louis

#4 ranadagger

ranadagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:53 AM

Dear Louis

Have already got the latest microsoft update SP3 and all the other updates from microsoft. The problem still persists.

Dear Mooseby

I did not understand your post. Please ask me if any other detail is needed by you.

with warm regards

Rakesh Upadhyay

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

How many partitions on system? Do you have this problem with any other partition?

Did you check Event Viewer for errors about either NTFS or permissions or any drive?

Louis

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

Hi -
Just try this code for the Disk Check - Copy and paste it into the Runbox and click OK - It should take about 30 mins for the 5 stage check , so let it run -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Close all other open programs as this will reboot your system in 30 seconds and then run the check - This is all I ever use for XP disk checks -
If it will not run please post back -

Thank You -
EDIT -
My check disk scan just finished and was OK - Have you tried a sfc /scannow check for any file related problems ??

Edited by noknojon, 19 November 2010 - 10:37 PM.

#7 ranadagger

ranadagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

Dear Noknojon

I did try out you command CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30 . It shut down my pc but at the time of the checking same message of "Cannot open volume for direct access" and after that the check was aborted.

I tried sfc/scannow, after you wrote about it. Looks like a few files which went missing were added, however the problem of "Cannot open volume for direct access" remains.

Dear Louis

I have two partitions on my harddisk.

2.I only have problem with one partition, the other partition works fine

3. I dont know what a viewent viewer does. Will google this and get back to you.

Thank you

with warm regards
ranadagger

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

System manufacturer and model?

You may have to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic soon.

Beginners Guides Diagnosing Bad Hard Drives - PCSTATS.com - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1583

Louis

#9 ranadagger

ranadagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:25 AM

Dear Louis

I shall use the checks as mentioned in the PC stats article, should i post the log generated using the event viewer?

with warm regards

ranadagger

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:02 AM

Do not post Event Viewer logs.

Please read the instructions I provided on how to use Event Viewer...and then review the errors listed on your System and Apllication tabs, using the criteria I previously suggested.

Event Viewer is a user tool...users must do the review since they have access to the pertinent data.

For any given line item that appears as an error worth investigating...double-click on that item to see the detail.

If you find errors meeting the criteria specified...you can post the line items AND the detail for that itee...in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users