Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xilisoft AVI MPEG Joiner Trouble

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:07 AM

I'm currently using the trial version of Xilisoft AVI MPEG joiner, so that I can try to put a bunch of videos of my kids together into one large file. I'm not looking for anything amazing, with effects, transitions, etc., I just want to join the files.

When I try to load them, I get an error from the app telling me that all of the files failed to load. The Xilisoft site has almost no troubleshooting information that I can find, and this is perplexing. Does anyone have any experience with this app, who might know of a solution?

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:39 PM

Assuming, you BOUGHT the program, contact Xilisoft.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

Assuming, you BOUGHT the program, contact Xilisoft.

I did, in fact, buy the software. My pirate days are long, long gone... :)

I just mentioned in another thread, regarding a different application, that I seldom use corporate support, because it often takes so darned long to get any kind of useful help. Normally, forums such as BC turn out to be the most efficient way to get the answers I need when issues arise. But I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and give it a go.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:35 PM

I'm confused out of my gourd here...
OP states he's using "trial software". (Okay, fine so far.)
Responder questions whether he BOUGHT the software. (And I have to wonder: Why would he BUY a piece of TRIAL software?)
Surprisingly, OP responds that he DID buy it. (And now I have to wonder: WHY is he using the TRIAL version then?)

Ah, the joys of troubleshooting...

Okay, your problem is that you try to load 5 videos and xilisoft whines and only loads 3 of them or whatever.

This is a common problem with multi-format editors - few programs include enough codecs to cover every format.

This can often be solved by installing a klite codec pack, which has almost every codec in creation. Whether xilisoft will recognize them or not is a different issue, but it's worth a shot. And when you work with movie files, you can NEVER have "too many codecs".

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

When I first obtained the product, I had it under a trial version. I then bought a license, because the trial version limited the file size that I could use. It was my error in phrasing that led to the confusion.

I have the Klite codec pack installed. The app doesn't whine about taking more than three, or two, or however many, taking some and refusing the rest. It refuses to take ANY .avi files whatsoever.

Or, and for the record, I'm a she, not a he... :)

Edited by MelissaPleases, 04 December 2010 - 11:16 PM.

Snowden03.png

#6 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

...and for the record, I'm a she, not a he... :)

My humblest apologies, ma'am! :)

And mea culpa for perceiving "not all" as "some but not all", but it seemed inconceivable that xilisoft couldn't load ANY avi files!

But now that the case has been defined, it's time to find the cause.

And because xilisoft DOES understand video, the problem begs a question that still hints at a coding problem:

Do all the avis you're trying to load have a common source?

IOW, do they all come from your videophone, your video camera or preprocessed by another program you use?

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

Yes. I'm trying to join short snippets of .avi files from a Nikon CoolPix L11 camera. However, I think I may know what the issue is.

Before trying to join the files, I convert them from the .mov format that the Nikon camera saves them as, to .avi files, using a freeware program, Pazera Free MOV to AVI Converter. My DVD player won't playback .mov files, so I convert to .avi before trying to join them.

I'm now wondering if perhaps this might be the issue?

Snowden03.png

#8 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

Hmmm...odd.

I just downloaded the panzera program (V. 1.2). Very nice!
Then I grabbed the "sample.mov" file from my quicktime installation and converted it to avi usung pazera's defaults. Worked fine, with little generational degradation. At first glance, this pazera program is quite capable! I think I'll actually keep it! ;-)

Anyway, I then downloaded the xilisoft mpeg joiner trial (V. 1.0.34 build 1012).
Surprisingly, xilisoft direct loads mov files! Have you tried using it that way?

In fact, I loaded the "converted by pazera" sample.avi AND the original sample.mov into the xilisoft joiner with no problem.

When I clicked "join"(again, using default values EXCEPT that I changed output setting from the default "mov" to "avi") xili complained because the "video height must be a multiple of 8" (default file rez matched the input file's rez of 192x242).

So I clicked on the Y parameter, typed in 240, clicked "join" and poof, I had an "asdasd.avi" on my desktop. ;-)

The only "problem" I had was its nag screen telling me to register it. ;-)

IOW, I just couldn't break it!

Can you make a few-second conversion for me that your xilisoft won't load and upload it to a file sharing site so that I can download it and take a look at it?

#9 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:14 AM

PM with a download link coming to you.

Snowden03.png

#10 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:03 AM

DAMN IT TO HELL!!!

I just wrote a LENGTHY response that took me over an hour to compose, and somewhere along the line I got logged out of BC. When I went to post my response, I got "an error has occurred" and it all went up in smoke! I logged in, but my response was gone!

#11 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:16 AM

PM with a download link coming to you.

Sorry for my hissy-fit, Melissa, but I am REALLY ticked off that there's no recovery routine for this sort of thing.

So VERY short version of my attempt is this:
I got xilisoft to load the file and play it, but it WOULD NOT encode the damned thing! It got to 2% and hung up EVERY SINGLE TIME.
I tried re-encoding your file in various ways with pazera, and also tried various output codecs with xilisoft, all to no avail.

However, I was able to load and concatenate a few copies of your AVI using Windows Movie Maker. It's included with XP-SP3, and available for free download from microsoft for versions prior to that. I don't know if it's bundled with Vista/Win 7 or not, but I would expect it to be.

WMM only loads AVIs, MPGs and windows format movies (not MOV), so you would still pre-process your Nikon files with Pazera.

In my last response I talked you through how to use movie maker in great detail, and then sent it off into the ether. But if you're interested, I can do it again after I get some sleep. ;-)

In the meantime, maybe you can get your money back from xilisoft. ;-)

Edited by emfederin, 06 December 2010 - 06:17 AM.

#12 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

Okay, I've been playing with this thing and NOTHING I'm doing is working well. And since I'm already working with a pre-processed file, any of my REprocessing unnecessarily degrades the movie quality, and I think at this point I'm pulling on the wrong end of the rope.

So let's take a different tact:
Take a couple seconds long movie of something. Your refrigerator, a doorknob, whatever. ;-)
Now save that MOV file, and upload it to the site you uploaded your AVI file for me.
That way I can figure out a way of processing directly from the native MOV file to a concatenated series that you can put on a CD yielding the highest possible quality using the least expensive conversion software I can find.

I assure you, I *WILL* beat this thing into submission for you. ;-)

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

I just wrote a LENGTHY response that took me over an hour to compose, and somewhere along the line I got logged out of BC. When I went to post my response, I got "an error has occurred" and it all went up in smoke! I logged in, but my response was gone!

If you use Firefox, get Lazarus add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6984/
You'll never lose any reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#14 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

If you use Firefox, get Lazarus add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6984/
You'll never lose any reply.

Heh...I just read the docs on this, and it does indeed sound like it could have helped me out. Shame they don't have something like it for IE8. ;-)

Thanks!

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

Sure thing :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users