Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible crash?!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 juvanya

juvanya

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:06 PM

I have 10.6 Snow Leopard Macbook pro.

Mozilla froze up and I dont really remember what happened next. At some point shortly after that, I pressed the power button for a hard shutoff. I waited a few seconds and pressed the power again and it did that CD drive shifting noise, but would not go past the white screen with the apple logo. I did a hard shutoff again and the same occurred, but the fan accelerated. So I shut it off again.

What is the procedure I should take? Will the HD data be lost by following that? Can I take it to a technician that can save the data? etc...

Thanks for any help. :)

Edited by juvanya, 19 November 2010 - 12:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:54 AM

Try these troubleshooting tips.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2570

#3 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:09 PM

When your Mac crashes, freezes, or kernel panics, it is wise to check or repair the common sources of problems.
If the application that caused the problem, causes it again there may be repair options for that specific application.
Mozilla (firefox) has an option to start without plugins.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

There are utilities to check and repair things that would otherwise require a Boot Repair CD or terminal commands.
AppleJack is my preferred utility
http://download.cnet.com/AppleJack/3000-2094_4-40293.html?tag=mncol;1
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#4 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

Nevermind, I have brought it to the repair place and they think it is the motherboard. Ill know tomorrow.

Thanks anyway. :)

Edited by juvanya, 21 November 2010 - 01:40 PM.

#5 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

It wasnt the motherboard. It was the HD. :'(

This is my 3rd or 4th crash, plus another 2-3 Ive known in my family and I still havent learned to buy an EHD. ughhhhh

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:54 PM

I am assuming that EHD means External Hard Drive and I would buy one they are fairly in expensive these days. A 320GB goes for around $60. And a 500GB goes for around $100 (No link for that one) And the one I linked to is an HFS+ format so that it is plug and play with your mac and with time machine. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 altair05

altair05

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

macs are great computers, but corrupt hardware plagues everyone. try to avoid windows based software turned for macs though unless people have reviewed them as safe on macs. I downloaded a bunch of normally windows programs that were converted for macs, and it caused my OS to crash several times. It all went back to normal though once i uninstalled them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users