Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network settings disappear

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bcordone

bcordone

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

We are PC users and my daughter was just given a Mac OS X, Processor 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4, Memory 512 MB DDR SDRAM, Macintosh HD. We connect to the internet via an airport (Wi-Fi). I set up Firefox today and every time I either restart or turn the computer off and on the network settings are gone. When I click on the Firefox icon it says cannot connect to internet, uncheck your work offline box. After I do that and try to connect again it says it doesn't detect a server and to check my network settings. When I check them I have to redo all the settings again (everything I had done and saved is not there). I have been doing this for the last 8 hours and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Can you help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:46 AM

Did you select the "Remember networks this computer has joined" in Apple menu > System Preferences > Network > choose Airport > click Advanced... button > Airport tab?

#3 bcordone

bcordone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:49 AM

After posting this last night I kept trying to make the settings stay. When I awoke this morning and turned on the computer there it was, the network icon filled in which meant I had network. The problem is I don't know what I did to fix it. I do have "Remember networks this computer has joined" checked but I think that is one of the things I did AFTER I posted this. After going back & forth for 8, 9 hours and 50 restarts, I just don't know what the fix was. But I thank you for replying and helping. My son and I have used this site for years, many, many times and have always gotten A+ advice. Recently we had black internet, a master boot virus another time, and have been able to fix it only with the help of this site. At least once a week we just come here to read about the latest viruses and fixes, great anti spyware and anti malware programs etc. Now that there is a Mac in the house I will be here alot because we have never had a Mac before and do not know anything about them. I can see that you have a great section on Macs. Thanks again Buddyme2.
barbara

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users