Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best method for photo storage?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MsDoolittle

MsDoolittle

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

I need to back up my photos somewhere other than my computer. It's too nervewracking for me to leave them on here and nowhere else. Where do you store your images?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

Hard disk thats backed up as well as on a sharing site for ease of sharing, dedicated thumb drive and CD/DVD for those can never lose once in a lifetime pictures. So total of 5 copies if they are priceless. 3 or 4 copies for the not so priceless.

I could get more redundant, but then I'd be like a squirrel and forget where I stored everything. :lmao:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 MsDoolittle

MsDoolittle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

Thanks! Now, what's a 'thumb drive'? Sorry :0P Sweet. I'll have to go get an ext. HDD. I have no idea what to look for though...advice?

BTW, I LOVE your avatar...it reminds me of my own evil cat (he's an Exotic shorthair), though in my mind's eye, mine would be wearing a top hat and a monocle. Oh, and he'd speak with a snotty British accent, lol!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,486 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:00 PM

Thumb drive is also known as a flash drive.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=379&SRCCODE=WEBGOOFLASH&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MsDoolittle

MsDoolittle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:39 PM

:thumbup2: Ok, gotcha! Will do.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

Side note regarding back-up`s to CD\DVD. Choose a quality media brand. Have read many articles that suggest the average data life expectancy for data stored on disk`s is about 5 years. Also store them in a proper manner. I prefer jewel cases. The cases can be bought in several different capacities. Have seen one`s that will hold up to 5 disks. Very handy should you have groups of pics, what ever you wish to keep together.

Keep them away from heat, direct sunlight, and magnets. How well you take care of your backed-up data will directly relate to how long it lasts.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,486 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

Good point ThunderZ.

The National Institute of Standards and Technologies in conjunction with the Library of Congress have an ongoing study of media and its longevity. One of their findings is that media using the purple dye seem to be lasting longer that others that don't use the purple dye. Brands such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim have a very good reputation and use this purple dye.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

:thumbsup: Have had very good luck with Verbatim. The disks are recognized on all 6 different burners in 5 different machines. No coasters and what seem`s to be a good life span. If memory serves me correctly, Taiyo is spoken of well here at BC also.

#9 MsDoolittle

MsDoolittle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

I have heard about this, too, so that was the other part of my concern. Seems like nothing is permanent anymore when it comes to digital media. I definitely will be printing out my photo favorites for display. Don't care about most of the photos other than the ones of my family. I'll have to go grab some Verbatim disks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users