Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

temperary internet files&cookies

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tnt4me

tnt4me

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:44 PM

hi,can someone please tell me if temp internet files are the same as cookies.Also what is the best route for accessing these "files"or"cookies"?,and is it a good thing to go through them at the end of heavy internet usage,and get rid of the ones that we don't need.a BIG thank you to all the resource people and exspecially the volunteers.Your website is a refreshing source of useful and understandable info from people who obviously know their stuff.three thumbs up!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

If you want to clean out your temp files use the following: Temp file Cleaner it is perfectly safe to use.

Cookies are text files that store information such as last time you visited and usernames and passwords. These are rather small files.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

In my humble opinion, TFC is rather heavy duty app for regular use. It cleans all user accounts and you have to reboot after the cleaning. Also it does not touch cookies. I personally feel that it should be used only for malware cleaning related steps.

TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

If you want full control over cookies and select which ones to keep and which ones to rid off, then I recommend CCleaner. Though, I advise not to use the Registry Cleaner part of CCleaner.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

The reason I recommend TFC over CCleaner is due to the fact that some users may get a bit to in the mood of cleaning and run the entire tool for what it is. Which includes the registry cleaner portion.

I hardly clean my cookies, because I have a lot of accounts online that I have sites set to remember my password and user name.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

I like TFC myself. But only run it about once a month.

Another temp and configurable cookie cleaner is CleanUp.
As with CCleaner, ignoring the configurable registry cleaning option is recommended.

Many Browsers have built in cookie control of one kind, extent.

A lot of good info ABOUT COOKIES can be found on Google.

Disclaimer regarding 3rd party software; Many freeware programs now come bundled with unnecessary add-on`s. Example = Search\Tool bars. Do not be click-happy when installing these type or any other software. Be aware of what you are installing, Uncheck any\all boxes for unneeded\unwanted software. Sometimes this may involve doing a custom install if the option is presented.

#6 tnt4me

tnt4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

thanks for the great advice,see that's what i like about this site.options are suggested by what seems to be very knowledgeable people and we get to choose which one best suits our need.one more quick question,can we "clean" or run various "sweeping"programs too much??Thanks again.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

There is really no definitive answer to that question. Browser settings, PC usage, personal preferences all go into deciding how often an individual user runs one of these sort of apps.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,292 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

FWIW: I don't run "sweepers" at all. I find that the innate Windows tools do the job quite nicely for me...I don't worry about cookies, TIFs, etc...since hard drives became so large and space concerns are a thing of the past. If there's no noticeable impact on the functioning of my O/S (I've not seen one since 2000 or so), then I see no reason to concern myself with such.

Users today have a number of ideas...(I need a registry cleaner, I need to constantly update drivers, I need to eliminate duplicate files, etc.) which were borne in the days when a 6GB hard drive was available and every byte of space on a drive...was considered important.

I think that we often forget...that we live in a society/world...where those with a product to peddle...will go to great trouble to make humans believe that their services/products...are vital to personal happiness and system welfare.

It...just ain't so :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 November 2010 - 01:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users