Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble formatting new WD External HDD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sergeant Fox

Sergeant Fox

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

Ok i got this new 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive. Model # WDBAAU0010HBK. I tried using the FAT32 formatter provided on the western digital page and am unable to format it. Formatter: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=304&sid=34&lang=en I followed the instructions and everything but it gives me the error message, Error: Drive size is to small or unsupported (WD1021USBDevice)

The reason i want to get it formatted to FAT32 is so i can use it with my dvd player (M# DVP5990/F7) to view movies which can only read FAT32.

Now i have no idea what to do but when first hooking up the drive to my computer it said something about the SM BUS controller being corrupted. Apparently that has to do with the driver for the graphics card or something (google)? anyways i found the link to the driver for the built in graphics card and my PCI-E nvidia card. I was able to update the PCI-E card but the built in wouldnt install. The reason i had to get a graphics card is because the built in stopped working. Im not sure if any of that effects anything but thought i would say just incase.

I appreciate any help, Thanks ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sergeant Fox

Sergeant Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:50 AM

Bump

anyone?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

You are aware that FAT32 files have a limit of 4GB file sizes? A DVD is 4.7GB.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users