Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update won't stay on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 redbirdpat

redbirdpat

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

I posted this in the virus forum, but I didn't get any replies. I don't even know if I have a virus. Has anybody had this issue?

My Windows update won't stay on. Everytime I turn it on, it turns off after about 10 minutes or so (and notifies me with a message balloon). I have scanned my computer with various antivirus/antispyware programs, but everything comes up clean.

It seems like I have some sort of virus, but I can't detect it. Has anybody else seen this behavior with Windows Update? Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

Pat

Also, I am running Windows 7, 64-bit, Home Edition.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

Wait until you get a response back from the malware Team.

#3 redbirdpat

redbirdpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:29 PM

Do you know how long that typically takes? It's been over 24 hours. I know nobody is under any obligation to answer my question, but I figured if somebody had an idea, I would have at least been asked for more info or something by now. So I thought nobody in that forum had any ideas. Which is why I posted it here.

This is my first post on this site, so I don't really know what the typical waiting time is. I'm not even sure if it is a virus, since I've run multiple antivirus/spyware programs, all coming up clean.

Anyway, if I need to wait another 24 hours or 72 hours or whatever, that's fine. I'm just wanting to know what is typical. I'll wait the appropriate time, whatever that is, before posting again. Thanks for any input.

Pat

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

Well first of all you posted in the Am I Infected Forum, is that what you wanted? Or did you want the Malware Removal Logs Forum?

#5 redbirdpat

redbirdpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:39 PM

I am new to this site. I posted to the Am I Infected forum first, because I really don't know if I am infected. I thought that's what I was supposed to do. But whatever forum is appropriate, I will post it there.

#6 redbirdpat

redbirdpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

Since I never got any suggestions on what to do to fix my problem, I just wiped the disk and reinstalled the OS. Good luck to everybody else.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

See my reply to your AII Topic.

#8 Andi Gjata

Andi Gjata

• Members