Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Start

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mikelivia

mikelivia

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:04 PM

am having some probs with my comp all around. The most annoying is it takes for ever to start up. It will like sit at the blue welcome screen and just do nothing then when it does get to my desktop it doesnt let me click on anything or atleast it wont do anything. All around my comp is slow my aim,yahoo and games even take long to start. Now the things ive done I ran norton avast and adware se also spybot. Found a few things removed them still doesnt help. I erased all the movies and all except one game off of my comp. I have songs on my comp but like 70% free space so dont see that being a big deal. I did the msconfig and unchecked all the things at start up and still nothing. what else is there i can do ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:34 PM

:thumbsup: to BC mikelivia,

Do some basic maintenance:
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Schedule an Error Check (Scandisk).
    How to find scandisk: Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now. In the window that opens tick 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. When you click 'Start' Windows will say the error checker cannot run now and do you want it to run at the next boot? Click 'yes' and then reboot.

• When that's finished reboot in Safe Mode and do a defrag.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.

• Reboot normally and see if there's any improvement.
hth :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:50 PM

ok im doing that right now ill get back to ya on if that helps any thanks so far

#4 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:09 PM

Ok did that i have 75% free space on my hard drive. Did the cleanmgr and the scan disk seems a little faster but not as fast before this all started happening. Also i read some past threads about this and i removed some of my desktop icons hoping that would speed it up. I got rid of my background and screensavor. Anything else i can do ? thanks for the help

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:31 PM

Better do some malware checks:

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:

Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.

Remember to use 1 Anti-Virus program, 1 Firewall and many Anti-Spyware programs, supplemented by occasional online Anti-Virus scans.

See if anything shows up :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 27 November 2005 - 10:32 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:59 PM

You also may have too many programs loading at startup when Windows boots.. Some of these programs are not needed to run at startup and disabling them can save resources and improve performance.

Go to Start > Run and type: msconfig
Click "OK" or press "ENTER" and the System Configuration Utility will open.
Go to the Startup Tab, and see what programs are listed.

If you are unsure what any of them are or if they are safe to disable, then search the startup database located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Using MSCONFIG
http://alri.org/step2/usingmsconfig.htm
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:52 PM

Ok i am downloading all those programs right now. I did the msconfig. Ill post what comes up after running those programs in safe mode. This kinda has nothing to do with the topic but thought i would try and post it anyways. I am trying to remove yahoo anti spy from my computer because i dont use it. When i go to add and remove programs and go to remove it . a error comes up and says could not open install.log file is there any other way to erase this thanks

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:34 PM

If there is no install.log file in the program folder where yahoo anti spy resides, then it may have been deleted. Without this file, the uninstall Setup cannot run. If it is there, then it may be corrupted.

You could try reinstalling the program over the existing one and then try uninstalling it again. Doing this should recreate any files that may be missing or corrupted and allow you to properly remove it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:09 PM

Like Quietman said, or if that doesn't help you can try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility -
Download Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
See the description here - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301
:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 28 November 2005 - 07:12 PM.

#10 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

ok cool. I just ran all those programs in safe mode and ended up removing 43 bugs so thats good news. It seems like it has pretty well got rid of my problem. So a big thanks to everyone that has helped.

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:47 PM

That's good news! :thumbsup:

Run a couple of online anti-virus scans as well as a double-check that you're not infected:

They do take some time to load and run and in some cases you can only use Internet Explorer, with ActiveX enabled, to access them but they are an excellent support for your existing anti-virus program.

Panda Active Scan online - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
Internet Explorer only. Requires email address. Requires Active-X components to be installed. Approx 12MB download.

BitDefender online scan - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
Internet Explorer only. Must agree to a EULA. Need to allow installation of an Active X component.Some of the options are not clearly explained.

McAfee online scan - http://www.pcpitstop.com/freescan/

Security Advisor (?) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

Trend Micro Housecall - http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise...call_launch.php
(European version, supports Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox and Opera)
or http://housecall.antivirus.com/ (IE only)

Kaspersky - http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
Link to 'Online Scan' at the top rhs of the page. Requires IE and Active-X components.
"does not scan RAM, boot sectors and MBRs, so it cannot detect malicious code located in these areas."

hth :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users