Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS flashing or Windows 7 or CPU fan problem??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cattywompus

Cattywompus

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:59 PM

Hello all. I'm a computer dummy. Any help is very appreciated.

I have a Gateway desktop GM 5632E quad core Q6600, Intel G33 Schroeder Town mobo, stock cooling, 4 gigs of ram.

A nasty root-kit problem forced me to re-install windows. I upgraded from Vista Home 32bit to Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I immediately did a bios flash to the most updated version from Gateway. Since the bios update, my stock CPU cooler runs at full speed and annoyingly sounds like a vaccuum cleaner. I used Speed Fan and determined that each of the 4 cores runs between 18 and 24C at idle and in the 30s to 40s under hours of FPS gaming. Speed Fan never detects either fan speed of the stock cooler or external vent fan. A check of my Devices tab showed a problem under "PCI simple Communication". I determined that I was missing a driver for the Intel Management Engine Interface. Gateway and Intel sites provided no working solutions. I was able to DL and install an Intel ME interface but now the Device tab shows the Intel ME interface (instead of PCI simple comm) but is still not enabled due to some unknown problem. I tried to reflash the bios with another DL of the same update. All seems to go well until the ME Interface section of the bios loadup shows up as failed, thus the update shows unsuccessful.

My desktop seems to run fine. I get no video artifacts, BSODs, or other errors. Gaming is normal.

I can live with the loud cooling fan but I'm getting wife aggro and I'm a little concerned that there may be a bigger unknown problem. I don't do any heavy computing or video editing......I just play GAMES.

Thanks for any assistance and/or interest in my plight.
"Does it really matter if my glass is half full or half empty..........when it's piss?"

- Pessimist Prime

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

have you tried cleaning the fan with compressed air? Make sure the computer is off first.

#3 Cattywompus

Cattywompus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

Yes, meticulously.
"Does it really matter if my glass is half full or half empty..........when it's piss?"

- Pessimist Prime

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

I see. Can you please post a screen shot of the error in the devices tab you mention and I will try to advise?

#5 Cattywompus

Cattywompus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:55 PM

Certainly......and thanks in advance for the help thrillhouse.

Attached Files

- Pessimist Prime

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

I don't know what this ime is but I think when you determined that's what it was you were wrong.

I think it is and ethernet controller or some pci device (or audio, whatever you have on pci).

So what I would do is uninstall the ime. Then right click and scan new hardware. Whatever the new thing that comes up (I don't know if it will say simple pci or ime), double click it and go to details.

There you will see two codes, developer and vendor. Put these in www.pcidatabse.com and find out what device it actually is, then go to intel or whatever manufacturer it is and get the drivers. Let me know if this works or not. We will fix it.

#7 Cattywompus

Cattywompus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:22 PM

Same results, unless I'm doing this all wrong.

Attached Files

- Pessimist Prime

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:38 PM

Ok, have you checked the bios since it was reflashed? Maybe something still needs to be turned on?

#9 Cattywompus

Cattywompus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

No change in the bios settings. Both Speed Fan and Intel Desktop utilities show no fan speeds. Nada.

- Pessimist Prime

#10 Cattywompus

Cattywompus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

Thanks all for the time and assistance. Nothing helped so I ordered and installed a CoolerMaster hyper plus 212 to replace the stock cooler. Sounds great but I stil have no idea on the fan speeds. Anyways it was a snap to install.

- Pessimist Prime

#11 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

Glad you worked it out and posted a solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users