Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FLV editor and burn to dvd (is there one)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 talx

talx

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

I like doing a lot of video editing, i use a basic video editing app' which is Cyberlink power producer/director 3 which suites all my needs at the moment, iv just started downloading video from the net using a 'video downloader' and the video format is FLV the problem is my video editor wont import the flv file format, iv gone down the path of converting these to mpeg1 ,this seems the quickest out of all the formats but still it takes a long time, my question is does anybody know of a video editor that will accept the flv format, i do have convertxtodvd that will import flv but you cant edit the files, so what im looking for is a video editor that will:
1.Import flv files.
2.Create chapters and a menu.
3.Be able to trim, cut parts out of the video.
4.Remove/lower/add audio.
5.Add titles (like text and the begining of the video)
6.output/convert to a dvd file that will play on dvd players
it would be nice to be able to put fades and other transitions in and to be able to slow or speed up the video but these are not essential it would be also nice if it was free, but im willing to pay for this kind of app' if it exists.
Thanks all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:01 PM

I use vlc (videolan). Select ps container and dump raw input. You will get a file yourmoviename.ps which stands for program stream container, basically mpeg-2. So just rename the file whateveryouwant.mpg and edit from there. If that doesn't work use SUPER by erightsoft. It is free but the only reason I don't use it is that it has so many options I don't know what they all are.

FYI they vob files on a dvd are mpeg-2 as well so if you are going to be burning this to dvd you won't have to convert again!

#3 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:04 PM

I use WinX HD Video Converter, it's not free, but I got it free from Giveawayoftheday.com. it works great to convert the FLV to Mpeg2 . (Found the link here at BC. Thank you Grinler.)
I change the 1920 X 1080 to 720 X 480, and use the high quality engine.

Might have to convert the audio to get it to open in your video editor.
But I rarely use my video editor.

Once the FLV is converted to Mpeg2 (with WinX HD)
I demux with Projectx, I also use Projectx to cut out unwanted footage.
I use Audacity Beta 1.3 if I need to edit the audio, or,
Mpeg2schnitt (dosen't support PCM) or Avidemux. to fix any A/V sync problems. (Also can cut out unwanted footage).

Sometimes I use Muxman + DVDshrink, to add chapters and create a dvd structure, (you can get the chapter points for Muxman with Mpeg2schnitt)
or
DVDauthorgui, to add menu's, or DVDstyler, to add menu's with text.

Note, DVDstyler wants to install a crap toolbar, but you don't have to install it.

Imgburn to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to DVD.

I think Handbrake will also convert some FLV. Never tried it tho.

You can download all these from Videohelp.com

Edited by 12x48y, 21 November 2010 - 02:14 PM.

#4 talx

talx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for all you sugestions but i think i do what you have said but with other applications i was hoping there was an application that does it all, a video editor that will allow flvs to be imported, at the moment i convert the flvs to mpeg1 using 'format factory' then import them to my editor (cyberlink) you would think some bright spark would create one as flv is getting popular, i sometimes use an app' called Avidemux but id like to know what all options are for, if anybody uses this application can they tell me whats the best filter to try to improve the 'blockyness'of some flvs (theres soo many)also iv noticed that many of the flvs are out of sync with the audio is there any thing can be done about this (as you can see im a right novice when it comes to flvs) thanks again.

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:15 PM

To fix the blocky look just make sure when you convert you use the same size and speed as the source. A good way to do this is if you have a program called mediainfo you can right click your flash video, click media info, and get all the settings:

Posted Image

To sync the audio you can extract the mp3 from the flash with vlc. I am not sure every step but google "mp3 from flv vlc". Then you use the mp3 as your audio track when you convert from flash to whatever.

Edited by thrillhouse, 21 November 2010 - 08:15 PM.

#6 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:04 AM

I do remember seeing an FLV video editor out there somewhere. Check out "Boilsoft". Google hard my friend.

But If you convert the FLV to Mpeg 2 video, MP2,/AC3 audio, it should import into any video editor. Even my old Sony Screenblast Movie Studio 3.0, Windows Movie Maker, Arcsoft Showbiz, will open mpeg2 video, MP2 audio. My old versions Windows Movie maker, Arcsoft Showbiz, Nerovision 3, will all open AC3 or MP2, so your video editor (Cyberlink) should. Just convert the FLV to Mpeg2. *

There's a few different ways I fix A/V sync problems. I (demux) separate audio from video (Mpeg2) with Projectx, then open the audio in Audacity 1.3 or soundforge and do a time stretch, or change tempo to make the length of the audio match the length of the video. That's if the audio starts in sync, then gradually goes out of sync.

or method 2 (if the A/V sync is off the same amount throughout the whole video)
I Demux the MPEG 2 and open the M2V, MP2, or AC3, in Mpeg2schnitt. (it won't open Wav) You can adjust the audio to move it forward or backwards to match the video. I think 1000 ms = 1 second. Mpeg2schnitt will then create another M2V,MP2/AC3 file thet can be remuxed with Avidmux.

Avidemux will also shift the audio, on the left there is a checkbox for "Shift" and a field to type in your ms. type a minus "-" to shift the other way. (ex -1000) I can't comment on how well it works in Avidemux, but it works great in Mpeg2schnitt.

* If you can't find anything free that will open FLV or convert FLV to MPEG2.
Here's a free bassackwards work around for getting FLV to open in a video editor.
As a last resort.

hang on 'cause it gets crazy. It may not work for all FLV's like Sorensons not sure.

You'll need DVDstyler.

http://www.dvdstyler.de/

Use DVDstyler to convert the FLV to VIDEO_TS folder. Then import the .VOB video files in your favorite video editor.
Dvdstyler will convert most FLV to either NTSC or Pal DVD.
DVDstyler isn't hard to use, once you get used to it. Sadly, I don't have time to give a full tutorial, but you should get the idea.
(From memory) Drag the FLV's into DVDstylers timeline, They are now called "Titles" right click the Title, choose properties, you can change the audio to either AC3, or MP2, you can change the video to pal, or ntsc. if your video editor won't open AC3, it might open MP2.

create a simple menu. drag and drop a button onto the blank background, right click the button choose properties, and tic the "play all titles" check box. click the burn button. Have it generate a VIDEO_TS folder by ticking the "just Generate" box. choose a destination. DVDstyler will convert the FLV's to MPEG2, AC3 or MP2 VIDEO_TS folder on your Hard drive. Normally I wouldn't recommend having your Author convert files, but DVDstyler doesn't do a bad job with FLV. If all you want to do is burn the FLV to DVD without editing, just drag the TS folder into IMGburn and you're done.

If you want to edit it in your video editor, read on.

Now find and open the VIDEO_TS folder, find the .VOB video files. They'll be named VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB etc. all but the last one will be 0.99 GB.
The VTS_01_0.VOB is the menu, you don't need that one.
Import those VOB's into your video editor.

If your video editor supports AC3, MP2, but is struggling with the VOB elementary streams, try this.

DL PVAstrumento add the VOB's. click "make a PS". Name your video and add the .mpg extension. this will change the VOB from an elementary stream to a program stream. This should open in your video editor. It'll open in Windows Movie Maker, Arcsoft Showbiz, Nerovision, actually Nerovision does a great job opening and merging VOB's on it's own.

If your Video editor won't recognize AC3, MP2 you'll have to convert the audio to Wav. ( I hate to do it 'cause you really lose audio quality)

Edited by 12x48y, 23 November 2010 - 09:20 AM.

#7 talx

talx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

Thanks again all, there seems to be a lot of work and time to be done just to get these flvs to dvd switching from one app' to the other, is there a big difference between mpeg1 and mgeg2 as iv noticed the flv convert quicker to mpeg1 aloso the mention of 'dvdsyler' i use 'convertxtodvd' would anyone recommend one over the other, anyway thanks again.

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

biggest difference between mpeg 1 and 2 is quality. mpeg 1 is more like vhs and mpeg 2 is dvd quality.

#9 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:09 AM

I think Mpeg2 video, AC3, MP2, PCM 48000 hz Audio. is the industry standard for DVD. Most of your FREE (& pay I think) authors are going to convert to Mpeg2 anyway, so that it will play on your DVD player. AFAIK Most FREE authors (programs that create dvd structures so they can play on dvd players) won't support PCM, so your stuck with AC3 or MP2 48000hz. Ulead being the exception, I think. Will Cyberlink Power Producer support PCM ? (Wav)

Forget mpeg1 unless your making a VCD. Convert to MPEG2.

I've burned literally hundreds of FLV's to DVD. (I play guitar/bass, and there are a lot of free video lessons out there, with permission of course) It's easy as pie, but there are steps that need to be taken.
I'm using an 8 year old Sony Viao, pentium 3, 412 MB ram. XP windows machine. I have Avisynth installed so that helps. It takes me about an hour and a half or so to convert and burn, depending.

I don't know anything about Cyberlink Power Producer, so I can't help you there.

But, The trick is, try not to recode, every time you recode, you lose quality. And it takes a long time to recode. If you don't recode, it's fast. Since it's FLV, and not Mpeg2, you're going to have to recode once to make it play on DVD players. Find a program that you like, that will convert FLV to MPEG2 video, AC3, or MP2, or PCM 48000 hz.
( only If you have an author that will support PCM, the free ones won't) It won't be perfect, but, if you do as Thrillhouse says and match the original video specs as closely as you can, (use Media info, or Gspot for this) The DVD should be watchable.

I can't comment on converttodvd as i've never used it. But I hear it's very good.
Also DVDFlick.

If you convert your FLV to Mpeg2, then import that mpeg2 into a video editor to cut out or add footage, transitions etc. your video editor is going to want to recode yet again. So now you recode twice. Sometimes it's necessary, but , Most FLV's are crap anyway, yeah some are better than others, but, if you recode twice, you are really losing quality regardless.

I Googled and found FlV Editor Pro. it's $45.

Projectx, mpeg2schnitt, Pvastrumento, DVDauthorgui, DVDstyler, are all free, and don't recode, or if they do, they do so without losing quality. (As far as I can tell). That's why I mention those programs for cutting out or adding footage. (sadly, no transitions) you only have to recode once. (FLV to MPEG2)

If your burning to DVD, stick with mpeg2, if you recode FLV to AVI, MPEG1, MKV, etc, your going to get artifacts (those blocky things, or worse.)

I think that's the best way.
Good luck, and keep us posted. I'm always looking for new ways to do things.

#10 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:04 AM

Here's a way to convert FLV with VLC Media Player. I'm using VLC 0.94 on Mac OSX.
Should work on Windows as well. I'll try it when I get home.

Open VLC > click "File" > "Streaming/Export Wizard" > Tic "Transcode/Save to file" > "Next" > Tic "Select a stream" and find your FLV to convert > next

Tic box "Transcode Video" > "mpeg-2" or whatever you want.

Tic box "Transcode audio" > "mpeg Audio" or whatever > Change Bitrate to 32 or 16 to get sound > next > tic "mpeg PS" (program stream so your video editor will open it) or whatever you want > next

Choose a place to save your file. > next > finish

:)

Edited by 12x48y, 25 November 2010 - 08:07 AM.

#11 talx

talx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

blimey its been a long time, but thanks again for all your advice, i have now found a 'video editor' that will import FLV files its Cyberlink Powerdirector 8, its not the newest but it does what i want....thanks again all 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users