Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What ram - I'm confused

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 willythecat

willythecat

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

Whilst l sort of understand the buying of compatible ram, all the statistics are totally confusing to me.
I have 4 mobo slots that currently hold 2 x 1gb sticks of crucial ram, details of which are -

part number ct12864ba1067
DDR3 PC3-8500 CL=7 Unbuffered Non-ECC DDR3-1066 1.5v 128mb x 64

I want to purchase a further 4gb ram, preferably in one stick so, when l logon to Crucial, up comes the recommendation of -

DDR3 PC3-10600 CL=9 Unbuffered Non-ECC DDR3-1333 1.5v 512mb x 64

Now i'm no expert, but even l can see that there's a blimmin' difference! Is this really compatible and will it give me 6gb ram?
Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MidwestTech

MidwestTech

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:39 PM

The Crucial recommended RAM is a 4GB stick. The other main difference between this new RAM and your installed RAM is the data rate and clock latency. Typically you can install RAM with a higher data rate and it will be backward compatible with lower data rate RAM.

Just to be on the safe side, can you please provide us with the PC make/model or the motherboard make/model?

Thanks,
Todd

#3 willythecat

willythecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

Thanks Todd, sorry for the delay.
Hold the front page, all has now changed! Have been in discussions with Crucial and whilst there recommendation would have worked, there was in fact a better module available.
HOWEVER,what l didn't realise is that l only have a 32-bit system so anything totalling over 4gb would be a waste of money, unless l upgrade the system to 64-bit.
So l'm just going to purchase another 2gb (same as what l already have) and this will suffice.
Thanks for replying though.
Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users