Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am surprised...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MsDoolittle

MsDoolittle

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:42 AM

After reading a ton of posts in the virus/malware forum, I am frankly surprised at some of the rude responses by people requesting help and the lack of the phrase, "Thank you". I don't know... maybe it's just a Southern girl talking here, but I was raised to acknowledge a person when they help you. Heck, I even still mail out thank you cards occasionally.

You guys saved me at least fifty bucks by publishing your malware removal guide and through your help on the forums (Boopme). That money is literally buying my kids some Christmas presents this year. Maybe I should title this post "How BC Saved Christmas"?. Lol.

So, :hug: to you all for what you do. As for me, I am, once again happily: :bananas: , as usual. :0P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

I hear you, but I don't think people are helping others out just to be thanked. It is really inconsiderate though.

I responded to a topic to help some guy who didn't have sound. I responded an hour after his post. Two days later he responds back, ignoring three solutions and instructions and just says what do I do? Then he complains an hour or so later that he didn't get a response. Then he put a comment on my profile and spammed me with pm's to help him. On my birthday.

The morale of the story is that there are an over abundance of jerks online with computers that need fixin'. It's best to ignore them and they will either learn to be considerate or go away.

My 2 cents anyway.

#3 MsDoolittle

MsDoolittle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

Oh no, I didn't mean people were out for a pat on the back, lol! I just think it's inconsiderate...after all, they are being helped by a volunteer who is using their personal time to help them out, right? :0)

I was also surprised at how people didn't follow instructions at all. Well, maybe I shouldn't be. My husband and I are in a repair business ourselves, and people always think they'll 'save a few bucks' and do it themselves which ALWAYS results in them really screwing something up. I mean, it makes us some extra money, but....lol. Oh well.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

Right. My mechanic always says you can have it done cheap, fast, and with quality. Pick any one, haha.
If you want it cheap, it won't be fast or quality. If you want quality, it won't be fast and cheap.

But the experience I was talking about was my only negative in 5 years here. I was just as surprised as you were and I am very disappointed that the malware team has been treated rudely.

I was in the IT game for a little while and people always said "The computer was acting funny so I started deleting stuff and now it doesn't work at all". Haha, to each his own I guess, but like I was saying, ignore the haters and ingrates as they are not part of this great community.

Glad your holiday didn't get ruined by your computer, have a good one.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,470 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:54 PM

Thank you for posting this. We do appreciate it.

I do, though, think that for the most part people are appreciative, but we do get a few sprinkles of those who think its our responsibility and job to fix problems that they have. That can get a little frustrating, but I guess it goes with the job :)

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:54 AM

From experience I can say that most people really are appreciative. Sometimes it just happens differently, which is not really nice, but as Grinler says, it comes with the job. :lol:

Ungrateful people exist everywhere, whether that is in real life or on a forum, its too bad, but there is little we can do about it. In the end, its their loss...

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#7 MsDoolittle

MsDoolittle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

This is true!

#8 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

From experience I can say that most people really are appreciative.

Ungrateful people exist everywhere, whether that is in real life or on a forum, its too bad, but there is little we can do about it. In the end, its their loss...

I'll second those two statements.

And to add: It's those appreciative people that keep us doing what we do :)

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:55 PM

And to add: It's those appreciative people that keep us doing what we do :)

True that! As long as there are at least some good people in this world it will keep on turning.

Edited by computerxpds, 25 November 2010 - 08:56 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#10 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:33 AM

Kudos to you, MsDoolittle! I just started a thread that's related to this topic, asking people to have patience when waiting for help from our resident BC computer gurus. I've also been dismayed at some of the rudeness I've seen, and the lack of any obvious gratitude being shown. I know this is the internet, and I suppose I should be used to seeing a lack of courtesy, but it still bothers me immensely when I see it - especially at a place such as this, where everyone is treated with complete respect by the staff.

Thank you for bringing this up - it's something that needs to be kept in people's minds. A little courtesy can go a long, long way.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users