Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home winlogon.exe not loading because housecall messed it up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

I have a Windows XP Home Edition desktop. I was using an online virus scanner called trend micro house call. It found a few tracking cookies.. and at the bottom of the list it said something about winlogon.exe
I clicked it, and then clicked delete or whatever. My computers start menu then went from the regular looking thing with the green start button... to this old fashioned gray thing that was very ugly. My computer then displayed a BSOD message..
STOP: c0000219 {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

My computer wasn't having any issues until housecall messed up my winlogon process. I mean really... so much for house call.

Anyways my computer will not load the login screen, not even in safe mode.

I'm using reatogo-x-pe to post this. Is there a way to fix my computer so it'll work again? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

That error message seems to be either the result of malware or XP file corruption.

If you can do a repair install...that would be my first effort.

Louis

#3 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

I won't lose any files by doing that right?

#4 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

How do I do a repair install?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:24 PM

You can lose access to files...anytime.

System manufacturer and model?

As for repair install instructions...bear in mind that such instructions are not written for OEM (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.) systems, since purchasers of those systems generally do not have a MS Genuine XP install CD. The manufacturers of OEM systems determine the repair/install opportunities purchasers have...unless the purchaser has bought, borrowed, etc...a CD reflecting MS Genuine XP.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

System manufacturer and model?

What CDs do you have for possibly installing Windows?

Louis

#6 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

emachines W3644. I have an emachines Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Operating System Disc.
I also have a Gateway Applications, Drivers, & Operating System Restore DVD W3644.

Then there's a Windows XP Pro "borrowed" from the internet disc. I stopped using it because.. it's not legit.
I have Back|Track 4 beta
I also have some disc I labeled boot disc.
I can get to the recovery console.. and it lists 2 things..
1. C:\MiniNT
2. D:\Windows

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:44 AM

I would like to suggest that the problem be simply fixed using your reatogo CD to replace the Winlogon.exe (and perhaps one other file also commonly infected at the same time). That should allow you back into the system again.

I would suggest that this be overseen by an expert from the Malware Removal Team.

Let us know if you wish to proceed in this direction. It may mean a short wait, until an expert is available to take a look.

Edited by AustrAlien, 19 November 2010 - 12:45 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users