Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitions for Multi-Boot and Apps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RockerBug17

RockerBug17

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

I just installed a new HDD and Windows 7: Ultimate on my XP machine and was wondering if both windows OS could share programs through a partition? I tried to open a program installed on the XP side within the Win7 side but was met by several errors. I would rather not spend the time loading my programs back into Win7 but if that's my only option should I partition a section for apps to be used in Win7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Simple answer, no they cannot share in the manner you are thinking.

For either O/S to run a given program...that program must be installed on that O/S and appropriate file/registry entries created.

The physcial space taken up by installing a program...is not an appropriate consideration in 2010...hard drives are much larger than they truly need to be, IMO, but we keep finding ways to fill them up :).

I suppose that you could install each on the same partition...but I believe that the result would not be what you expected, since there would be two sets of the same program...which could be unnecessarily confusing.

louis

#3 RockerBug17

RockerBug17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:34 AM

I see. I've read about partitioning for the OS and apps separately, but never on a multi-boot system. It seems I will have to have at least 4 partitions to cover a dual-boot system. Kind of a pain, but like you said, we'll find a way to fill them up.

Thanks for the advice.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

You don't need 4 partitions to dual-boot...the number of partitions is up to the user.

In general...a user needs a separate partition for each O/S installed. Beyond that...it's strictly up to the user.

In general...it's wise to store data files on something other than the system partition, the partition containing the O/S. This thinking arises from the fact that it's somewhat dangerous to have everything on one partition...if something goes wrong, the user is unable to access anything. Storing data files on a partition which is not the system partition enhances the chances of losing access to only one part of the install (data files or O/S and programs).

All data files can be stored on one partition, those for both O/Ses.

IMO, Windows functions best when programs installed are on the same partition as Windows. I cannot prove that, nor do I have any interest in doing so...it's just my perception since every version of Windows is designed with that layout in mind. When programs are on a different partition, I assume that it takes just a bit longer for Windows to run them...although I doubt if a user can detect the difference.

Louis

#5 RockerBug17

RockerBug17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

I was thinking about installing my apps on the same partition as the OS, so that I can image each partition and have a back up ready for when windows becomes sluggish or a virus attacks. It sure would beat doing a fresh install, which has been my typical method to date.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:23 PM

Well...imaging a Windows install is what I consider a good way of backing up...but I don't advise puttin the backups on the same hard drive which the primary installs rest upon.

Of all the computer componenets which I expect to fail at some time...PSU and hard drive are the top two.

I like to spread the risk by backing up to a drive which is used seldom and solely for backups, duplicate copies of programs installed, etc.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users