Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Clipboard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guernica

Guernica

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:17 PM

I am wondering if there is a way to access previous information coppied using windows clipboard.

I was typing an email and coppied the entire text, because quite often, my browser crashes erasing all information. However, shortly after I finished my letter, I copy and pasted a url at the end, and had the browser crash immediately after. As a result, the only text I can paste now is the url which I coppied last. Is there any way to retrieve the letter I had typed previously?

I am using windows XP home edition, and its very important:(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:53 PM

Hi Guernica,

As far as I know, there is no way top get that information back. The clipboard is temporary storage and is written over each time you cut or copy an item.

As for your browser crashing, take a look at the items in my signature (bottom of my post) and run one of the online virus scans. Also look at Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware. You can download these two for free. They are good anti-malware programs that can help out with crashes. You can also run scandisk and defrag that comes standard on XP. That can help "cleanup" your system as well.

I hope this helps,

Rigel

Edited by rigel, 27 November 2005 - 06:55 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:09 PM

:thumbsup: to BC Guernica,

I don't think there is a way to recover that data, but just in case here's an explanation of how to find the XP equivalent of Clipboard Viewer - http://www.pencildude.com/tips/clipbook.html

Perhaps a better idea would be to find out why your browser (which browser is it?) is crashing frequently.
Do some basic maintenance:
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Schedule an Error Check (Scandisk).
    How to find scandisk: Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now. In the window that opens tick 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. When you click 'Start' Windows will say the error checker cannot run now and do you want it to run at the next boot? Click 'yes' and then reboot.

• When that's finished reboot in Safe Mode and do a defrag.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.

• Reboot normally and see if there's any improvement.
Try uninstalling your email browser and reinstalling it.
Have your Windows XP CD available and at a command prompt (Start>Run>cmd) type sfc /scannnow to see if any system files are corrupted. You should run Windows update afterwards.

Do you have an updated anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware programs installed? Which ones?

:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users