Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirect/hijack virus brand new computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SaintFrances

SaintFrances

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:39 AM

Hello,
I have a brand new laptop PC running Windows 7. I exclusively use Mozilla Firefox to browse the web. I literally just bought it and immediately installed the free version of Avast antivirus before doing anything else. Within minutes of browsing the internet with this computer I began having these strange web page redirect type issues. They are not pop-ups but rather just like a hijack of the browser.

Here is some background....I am also lately having these exact same problems on another older PC in my house which is running Windows XP, as well as with my iPOD Touch, which connects to the internet via the same wireless connection as my 2 PCs. I have tried troubleshooting this problem on my older PC by using countless anti-malware programs such as Adaware, Spybot, Malwarebytes, and a couple of others I have read about on this forum. However, none of them have fixed this problem. I figured that my old computer was just completely ruined by this virus and had higher hopes for my new computer. However, I am now very frustrated by the appearance of these issues on my brand new computer. Is it possible that somehow my IP address or router or something is infected by this virus? I also use my iPod Touch at work throughout the day and have never had this issue when using the wireless connection at work, only at home.

Below I have pasted the most common URL that the redirect takes me to. The screen only states the following "Complete a 30 seconds-test. Click here to continue..." I have NEVER clicked anywhere on this suspicious page and usually close the browser and restart a new browser window. I particularly have this problem when visiting pages on either Amazon.com or other shopping websites such as Bestbuy.com. However, it could occur at any time. Sometimes I can go for several minutes up to an hour or more without experiencing these problems.

http://do_check.s3.amazonaws.com/index3.html?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIKDZBVZT6ABSN6MA&Expires=1290062065&Signature=70H%2BZouj%2BIFDwEhneUPiWJyRe5A%3D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:10 PM

Restore the computer back to factory settings since you just got it.

#3 SaintFrances

SaintFrances
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

Ok...how do I go about restoring to factory settings? How is this going to prevent the same problem from happening again after I have restored the factory settings? Do you think this is a problem with the wireless connection at my house?

#4 SaintFrances

SaintFrances
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

I just wanted to add the URLs of a couple of other redirect/hijack sites that keep causing problems:

http://www.epoclick.com/?ad=1290097366

http://www.theclickcheck.com/?sub=419251845&rm=aHR0cDovLzM3N180MTkyNTE4NDUuYWRtYXJrZXRwbGFjZS5jb20%3D&pub=377&cid=1260382982&ds=aHR0cDovL2JsaW5kZGF0ZS5teXllYXJib29rLmNvbS9nYW1lL3I%2FaWQ9QmxpbmQxJnV0bV9zb3Vy%0AY2U9YWRtYXJrZXRwbGFjZSZ1dG1fbWVkaXVtPWNwYyZ1dG1fY29udGVudD0zNzdfNDE5MjUxODQ1%0AJnV0bV9jYW1wYWlnbj1ibGluZGRhdGUmdXRtX3Rlcm09YWNjb3VudGluZw%3D%3D

Thanks for your reply!

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

Check your user manual each computer is different, and I would save the avast installer to a CD before so you can install it directly from the CD.

Also where did you get Avast from?

#6 SaintFrances

SaintFrances
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

I downloaded avast from CNET.com. Here is the link:
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html

I just noticed that if I go to the actual avast.com website and click on the "download" tab, nothing happens. Do you think this is caused by the virus/malware?

#7 SaintFrances

SaintFrances
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

Should I purchase one of the better versions of Avast? Does the sandbox make much of a difference in protection while surfing the web?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users