Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird LNK issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ruggb

ruggb

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:25 PM

WinXP HP
I have links for IE, FF and others in the start menu. Initially, an IE lnk pointed to an invalid file and would not open IE.
I found 3 IE folders including IE8. I cleaned the system up and deleted the IE7 folder as clicking either EXE file opened IE8.
I replaced the shortcuts on the start menu, quick launch bar and desktop.
Everything seemed fine till the link in the start menu stopped working. Looking at the properties, it was now blank & grayed out.
IE opens with EXE file click and creating a new desktop LNK works.
A reboot brought back the start menu lnk - no longer blank and now functional - for a few min, the blank again.

This weirdness did not appear to affect FF shortcuts.

A serious virus scan has been run with Viprerescue. Webroot is the default AV program. Nothing but low level threats were detected.

What is happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:02 AM

What model HP system?

I would do the basics...run the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive, check Event Viewer clues, check for overheating possibilities, and check the amount of free space on the Windows partition.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users