Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop won't boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 deathx88

deathx88

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

i have an hp laptop with xp home on it. every time i start it when it gets to the xp loading screen it will power down and restart in an endless loop. right before this happens though you can see a quick flash of the blue screen of death.
i tried loading in safe mode and also restoring the default settings in setup. i then came here and downloaded the xp recovery console and followed some of the commands from this thread. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic138692.html

i ran chkdsk /r and it said it fixed some problems. i restarted, but it was still messed up. i then ran fixboot and it said it fixed a corrupted boot sector, but again it still didn't work. i then ran fixmbr even though i was skeptical about it because of the caution warning it gave and about it messing up the partition tables, but since it said it was a non-standard or invalid master boot record i pressed yes to fix it.

i'm not sure what else to do. i want to see the error message on the blue screen but i don't know how to stop it and get the info from it. i've been trying to see if there's a way to turn off the automatic restart on it, but i'm not sure how without actually getting into windows. maybe there are some more commands i can run with the recovery disc.

please help, for all i know this could be a hardware problem. so i'm not sure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

Try pressing F8 when the computer first begins the POST, if the Advanced Startup Options opens click on Disable Automatic Restart. This will allow you to see the Blue error message.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:24 AM

ok, thanks for that, i've been looking for that option

here's the error it said

unmountable_boot_volume

stop: 0x000000ED (ox8661da68,0xc0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)

also, it said that it has windows media center edition. i wasn't aware of that since this really isn't my laptop, but i just hope that doesn't matter since the recovery console disc said it was for home edition and i don't know if fixing the mbr would mess that up or not.

i was thinking maybe it's a NTLDR problem. i haven't tried to do that option yet. so should i try the - bootcfg /rebuild command and see if that works? or should i be doing something else?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

If you are able to get to the Advanced Boot Options do the Last known good configuration.

If you can still run chkdsk, run chkdsk c: /p

Edited by dc3, 18 November 2010 - 09:09 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

thank you.

i ran the chksdsk c: /p command and it started up again. B)

do you know why this would happen, or what usually causes this error so i can try to avoid this again? i was trying to ask my friend the last thing she did before it happened, but she said other people were using her laptop and no one would admit if they did something wrong or what exactly happened.

i also tried to see recent programs installed and such, but i realized there's a problem with the date. it keeps changing back to 1/1/2006 after every reboot, so it makes it harder to figure out. just to clarify, fixing that problem involves changing the cmos battery, right?

#6 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:58 AM

bump.

i just want to know what causes this type of error so i know how to avoid it in the future. could it be caused from a virus? or maybe something else?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:50 AM

It's hard to say just what caused this. I could be anything from a damaged file because the computer was shut down improperly to a file simply becoming corrupted for who know why. Some times a operating system will just accumulate small problems that eventually become compounded enough to cause problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users