Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows can not start missing or corrupt file help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 head hunter

head hunter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:53 PM

My HP dv8000 has a major issue. Start it up and I get a black screen that says " windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of the above file".
I am a newbie at trying to fix issues and could use some help or this thing will become a paper weight or boat anchor. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:09 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

If you can go to Start> Run and type in cmd. When the next page opens type in chkdsk c: /p and then click on enter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 head hunter

head hunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

I get to the screen where I have the option, and when I do it takes me back to the screen with te message about not being able to start windows. Same responce no mater which option I pick.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:47 PM

Do you have the installation disk for this operating system, or know someone with one of the same version as yours that you can borrow?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 head hunter

head hunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:57 PM

Unfortunately not, and not sure of the correct version.
I don't mind loosing all the information currently on the machine ( I backed it up on disk three weeks before) but would like to salvage it and be able to use it foe a little while longer.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

By version I meant XP Home or Professional.

I wasn't going to suggest that you reinstall the operating system. If you can borrow a installation CD you can run sfc with the scannow option, this will scan and repair important Windows files. If it come down to it, you can do a repair installation which won't affect your files, applications, photos, etc.

#7 head hunter

head hunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:16 AM

I can probably get the xp home disks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users