Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Settings for Documents and Settings Folder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AgeComputer

AgeComputer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

I have a drive that had Vista Home Premium on it & NTFS as the file system. The drive went bad with over 100 K bad sectors. Preformed a hard drive recovery; After several days I managed to remap all the bad sectors so that I could read the drive when booting from a XP boot CD or a UBCD cd.

Now When I view the drives directory structure I can browse most of what is listed except for the Documents & Settings folder. When I try that one I get the message "Access Denied". I tried getting into the properties to see if I can change the properties but the Security tab did not show up.

I am a lot more familiar with XP than Vista. Is there an added security feature Vista has on the Documents & Setting folder that only Vista can open it. I tried using a Vista Recovery disk but it was not able to see the partition. Also I am not sure if there are any tools on the disk to recover files from a drive that no longer boots windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
/Peter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:38 AM

"Access Denied" is a proper and routine message encountered...when moving a hard drive from one system to another. Only impacts the Docs & Settings files/folders, all other files can be easily accessed.

So can the Docs & Settings folders, by taking ownership of the files/folders.

Taking Ownership in Vista

Louis

#3 AgeComputer

AgeComputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:24 AM

Thanks for your responce;

I'll give it a try.