Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Profile Deleted / Corrupted?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shaunn

Shaunn

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

Hello,

I'm running Windows XP with Avast! Antivirus.

My computer restarted itself two days ago in the middle of the night, which is not out of the ordinary because I run Automatic Updates at that time, and as a result, the system may sometimes have to be restarted. Although, I don't know the real reason it restarted this time, and I'm very suspicious about it.

When it rebooted, a window was displayed stating:

"Error: Data Error (cydicredundancy check)(23)
c:\Documents and Settings\Allusers.WINDOWS\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\SearchPixieBar.zip
c:\Documents and Settings\User 1\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\AntiPhishing
c:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\inetin51.exe"

When I clicked on "OK", it hung on me, so I had to restart it manually. It took a long time to reboot, when it did, it said that it couldn't locate the profile, and would open in the "default profile".

So, of course, anything to do with my personal settings is not loaded. If I try to reboot it again, the same thing happens.

* The computer is very slow, whether I'm opening a program, opening a webpage, or even opening a dropdown menu.

* I tried to open "Super Anti Spyware" and received this error message:
"RUNAS.EXE - Entry point not found
The procedure entry point RegDeleteKeyExW could not be located in the dynamic link library ACVAP132.dll."

* I was able to open MalWarebytes, but when I tried to update MalWarebytes and got this error message:
"Error code 732(0,0)"

* When I open Internet Explorer, I get this error message.
"Internet Explorer - Search Provider Default
A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for InternetExplorer. Internet Explorer has reset this setting to your original search provider, Earthlink (eimg.net). Internet Explorer will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or install more search providers."

When I click on "OK", Internet Options opens up. I've changed these settings, but they do not remain changed because when I reboot, it will only open in the default profile, which hasn't saved any changes I've made.

* I also can't change the "Desktop" picture, it will only let me change the color of the desktop. And that, of course doesn't stay changed if I reboot the system.

* I scanned the system with "Avast!", but it didn't find anything.
* I scanned the system with "Spybot Search & Destroy", but it didn't find anything.
* I used "CCleaner" to clean both the registry and the system.

My primary search engine is Firefox, but I haven't opened that yet because of all the problems I'm already having.

Please let me know what to do.

Thanks for your time,
Shaunn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

This doesn't look like malware to me, but rather a hardware issue. Cyclic Redundancy Check errors on a hard disk means either that there is some sort of damage to the hard drive, the cable, or the motherboard controller which is causing data to be read incorrectly from the disk.

At this point, it would be a very good idea to ensure that you have made backups of all your important personal files as there is a chance that your hard drive is failing. Once it fails for good, the cost of recovering any data thereon becomes prohibitive. So, it is very important that you make backup copies of your personal files while you still can access them.

The first step we should take here is to run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility. Diagnostic utilities are available from the hard drive manufacturer's website for free and can often times diagnose and correct non-fatal errors. If you need help determining the manufacturer of your hard drive, let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users