Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN Through strict firewall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 kb1ibh

kb1ibh

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:23 PM

i'm a student at a college which for now will remain nameless, and they've got the most restrictive firewall I've ever seen. i have a number of web servers through dream host(dot)com which hosts a number of PHP projects that im working on, and because i'm at the school for up to 8 hours a day, i would like to work on those projects in between classes. whenever i try to connect to the server through ports 21 or 22 (FTP and SFTP respectively) it goes nowhere, i contacted the admins at the school, and they declined to allow outgoing connections on either port (which makes no sense to me, im not asking them to forward a port to me, just to allow the traffic through)

i've got a VPN server at home i'd also like to connect to, and if im able to connect to that server, i should be able to do all my FTP work through that, but again, im unable to connect to the VPN given the school's firewall.

my ISP is Verizon fios, so ports 80, 8080, 25 are all blocked to incoming requests, which would have been the most likely ports to be opened in the school.

i've also got a computer attached to a subnet of the school's network (which has the same restrictions) which is running a copy of hamachi, so i can remotely test to see if there is a port open from here.

my question is this: what other common ports should i try that might be open? can anyone think of something else i can try? this is really annoying...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

Hi kb1ibh and welcome to BleepingComputer.

i contacted the admins at the school, and they declined to allow outgoing connections on either port

Case closed. Your admins set that policy in place for a reason. It would be unethical for any member of this board to usurp their wishes. Also from BleepingComputer Board rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

It is for that reason this topic in now closed. if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
rigel
BC Moderator

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users