Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot update or uninstall Adobe Reader 9.4.0

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sonrol

sonrol

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:44 PM

OS is XP Pro with SP3. I keep being alerted that a security update for Adobe Reader 9.4.0 is available for download. When I try to download & install the update I get the following error message.

"Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrenVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key."

I also tried to uninstall Adobe Reader from REmove Programs but received the same error message.

Is malware preventing the installation of this upgrade?

Thank you,
sonrol

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2010 - 02:56 PM.
Moved from XP to Business Applications ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

Well...I don't see why Adobe anything...should access a key that appears to relate to email functioning in a MS folder, IMO.

Louis

#3 sonrol

sonrol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

Well...I don't see why Adobe anything...should access a key that appears to relate to email functioning in a MS folder, IMO.

Louis

Thank you for your reply.

I do not know anything about what you are implying. I just want to know if there is malware/virus or anything else preventing the update and how it can be fixed. Do you have any suggestions? Remedies?

Regards,

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:46 PM

I can't give you the answer you want...I've only stated what is obvious...your error message doesn't seem to make sense to me. Adobe files don't belong in the Microsoft folder that relates to email functions.

Louis

#5 sonrol

sonrol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

I can't give you the answer you want...I've only stated what is obvious...your error message doesn't seem to make sense to me. Adobe files don't belong in the Microsoft folder that relates to email functions.

Louis

Hi Louis,

As I stated in my original post that I get the same error message when I try to remove the Reader. I thought that somehow the program became corrupted and that reinstalling it would correct it. Is there anything that I can run that would create a log or report that you may be able to analyze and determine the problem. The Reader updater icon keeps appearing in the tray saying that the update is ready to download. When I try to update it gives me the same error message.

Any assistance would be genuinely appreciated.

Edited by sonrol, 17 November 2010 - 05:59 PM.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

Adobe products can be a nuisance to uninstall. Add/Remove programs doesn't usually work. Try the procedure at the link and then reinstall Adobe Reader.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/400/kb400769.html

#7 sonrol

sonrol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:43 PM

Louis

Louis,

Here is a link that has the information that worked. May help someone here in the future. Thank you for your assistance. Regards,

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404622.html

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for posting your resolution, happy computing :).

Louis

#9 Robbie7712

Robbie7712

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hello Louis and Sonrol! I have tried all the Links provided here on the subject of Adobe Reader 9.4. not updating, and I can tell you--none of them solves the problem that I have. Trying to get to Adobe Support is a no go--chasing tails--
Getting to the moon is easier. If all you can do is edit my post and move it--what's the point of seeking help from you?
I've seen nothing helpful yet---maybe someone will come up with something--sometime!
I've read a lot of Forums and Windows/ Adobe "solutions" but none of them work!
So, where is the expertise from you guys? My problem doesn't have any connection with Email folders either! Why does an attempt to uninstall Adobe meet wih the response File not found, confirmed by a search of all Folders and Files incl. Hidden Folders and Files..nothing found! Yet, when I try to install a freshly downloaded version, it doesn't install because "It is already installed"!

No ideas forthcoming?
Robbie

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:42 PM

I don't believe any of us...ever claimed to all-knowing or anything akin...most of us go by experience and our ability to read, interpret and apply what we have learned.

If you've visited a number of different forums with your issue, including Adobe's, that would seem to say (to me) that you have a unique problem...or you are misinterpreting the symptoms/cause.

I don't use Adobe...too many problems with it...so my suggestion would be to uninstall it and use a different .pdf reader that is less troublesome and lighter on the system.

If you continue to have problems then...you can remove Adobe from your list of suspects and perhaps take a deeper look at what is going on with your system.

Louis

#11 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

A new Adobe Reader X has been released today. I just installed it over my Adobe Reader 9 without any problems. http://get.adobe.com/reader/

#12 Robbie7712

Robbie7712

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:56 AM

Hello Louis---It was not my intention to upset anyone---I just find it frustrating that,if you don't know the answer, why you can't say so! Nothing wrong in that and everyone knows where they stand.
You say simply uninstall Adobe,---but if you bothered to read my post completely you would have seen that I already tried that --3-4 times in fact---and it doesn't uninstall.
Zuhl was able to install the new AdobeR Xover the top of 9.4---I downloaded and installed it--but not without it being interupted by the same messages I got when trying to install a new download of 9.4.
"X" did not install over 9.4---but it did install!
Maybe you are right--maybe I have a unique problem here---and I said at the start I'm not clever with Computers. However having carried out all possible checks for Virus, Trojans and malware including TSSKILLER Scan---nothing found anywhere---machine totally clean--How can I have done more to solve this before asking for ideas?
Fact remains--AR 9.4 can't be uninstalled because it cant be found.Start-All progs--Adobe 9 -Open-- produces the message Action only valid for progs that are currently installed! A new download of 9.4 cant be installed because its already on the system. AR "X" would not install over AR9.4"because it is on a network resource which is unavailable". Now, what that implies, I don't know, only that my Computer is not on any Network---it's a single Home Computer which only I use/have access to! The Application is still on list of programs installed and I cant delete it!
Have a nice day!
Robbie

#13 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:23 AM

Have you tried uninstalling Acrobat Reader using something other than Add/Remove Programs? There are free programs that do a better job and may be helpful. I use one called Revo Uninstaller.

#14 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

Good morning Robbie. I had the same problem trying to update 9.4, it wouldn't update. I had to download and install the new 'X' Reader from the link I found at another forum. After I downloaded the new version, it installed and removed all traces of the previous versions of Reader 9.4. My only suggestion, I don't have an official answer, would be to try the Microsoft Uninstaller Cleanup Utility still available from Softpedia.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility.shtml
I am totally unfamiliar with XP, I use Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. I hope this suggestion has positive results for you and I apologize if I have inadvertently inflamed what seems to be an already sensitive situation.

#15 Robbie7712

Robbie7712

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

Hi Zuhl, Itried all theClean-up Utilities/Tools I could find, but non of them work. I think there is aproblem finding just what part of AR 9.4 is actually left on the System!--Something is strange---uninstall says it cant be found--new install says it's already installed--AR X won't install over it but has installed seperately.!!! I'm just going to leave it for now and have a good think about it!! Thanks for your suggestiuon though. Robbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users