Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Connectivity Lost Periodically

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 csingsaas

csingsaas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:34 PM

We have a cash register at one of our stores that is experiencing Internet connectivity issues. It is a Dell Optiplex 320. Our store has 2 registers - and only one is losing connectivity so I am quite certain it is not an issue with the modem or firewall.

They need network connectivity to use their POS Software - which they connect to a terminal server to use via Remote Desktop.

I oversee this computer remotely - using a program to take control of the screen called "RAdmin".

When they lose connectivity here are the symptoms.....

1. They are unable to connect to the server via RDP. If you click on the Remote Desktop icon - nothing happens so far as you can tell visually. However, if you open up task manager you can see that a new instance of mstsc.exe is created.

2. If you launch Internet Explorer - it just kind of sits there. It does not load the homepage - just shows the toolbar and gui along with a blank white screen where a webpage should be. It simply tries to load the page but can't because no connectivity.

3. If you go to Control Panel > Network Connections - the screen will not load. It just freezes, again displaying a white screen.

4. The confusing part is I am able to connect to the computer using RAdmin. I can take control of the computer and troubleshoot.

5. Rebooting the computer does not seem to help the issue. Rather, the issue goes away on it's own. Today it happened again and I tried to troubleshoot things for 45 minutes. Eventually it just started working on it's own. When it starts working - it is like a switch is flipped. If you tired to open Remote Desktop 20 times, all of the sudden 20 remote desktop windows will open up (unless of course you force quit all those instances of mstsc.exe).

I looked in Device Manager and the there is no yellow question mark next to network adapters or anything like that.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MidwestTech

MidwestTech

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

Here are a couple of quick ideas from the symptoms you described.

1) Open the network adapter properties dialog box - go to the Power Management tab - unselect the Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power - (this one has bitten me in the past a couple times)
2) Scan for malware

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Todd

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

So the Computer wont let you load the POS software from the terminal over the network, or connect to the internet, but you can connect to the computer remotely? Are you connecting remotely from the network, or from outside the network?

When do they lose connectivity, is it during a session of use where it has been working for them and then stops, or is it when they first come to the computer at the beginning of the business day?

It has been a week now, have you made any progress?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users