Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Tray not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 computers_hate_me

computers_hate_me

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

For about half a year now my cd/dvd tray in my Hp6000/Hp6700 laptop has not been appearing, although it opens and closes, and the lights are working. But when I insert a cd or dvd it stalls and does not load. The drive does not show up in the boot menu options nor on the device manager. I have also tested a working drive from my friends laptop that had the exact same model, but it did not work, but mine drive worked in their laptop. The last thing I performed was a factory restore using the built in recovery options using f11 on startup. At this point I am suspecting it is motherboard.

Please help if you found a solution, thanks in advance!

Edited by computers_hate_me, 17 November 2010 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems there are a few of these "fixits" from m$, try this one and if it don't work theres others..

good luck!

PS: LOVE the screen name!!

Edited by keny111111, 17 November 2010 - 04:14 PM.

Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

Sounds to me like the controller board on your cd/dvd drive is damaged. I would replace the drive.

#4 Laurence

Laurence

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:22 PM

How does that work? The drive works in another computer, but replace it anyway? How does that show the drive is defective?
It would be better to keep the drive and replace the computer based on the information provided, wouldn't it?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

Then if your drive worked in their computer, and their drive did not work in your computer then the issue is with the IDE Controller on the motherboard of your lap top.

#6 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:09 PM

theres something about "filters" deleting the "upper and lower" filters, if the fixit don't work post back, theres others...

dvd/cd drive going missing is very common in vista. do you or did you have a burning software installed? (roxio,nero), there famous for this very same thing...

kenny
Have A Great Day

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:10 PM

dvd/cd drive going missing is very common in vista.

Please post your sources. I have Vista, and I have not had my CD/DVD Drives go missing in the last 2 years that I have had it.

#8 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

me either, do a google search, do you think MS would have a fixit if it wasn't a common occurrence??, http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1ACAWCENUS354&q=dvd+not+showing+up+in+my+computer&aq=2&oq=dvd+not+sh there are PLENTY of forums with the same question...

sorry for coming off as an A hole, but you want to spend $30- $40 and i'm trying to help the guy/girl without spending a nickle!!

kenny

ps: show PROOF that the IDE controller is bad!

Edited by keny111111, 18 November 2010 - 05:20 PM.

Have A Great Day

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:08 PM

For about half a year now my cd/dvd tray in my Hp6000/Hp6700 laptop has not been appearing, although it opens and closes, and the lights are working. But when I insert a cd or dvd it stalls and does not load. The drive does not show up in the boot menu options nor on the device manager. I have also tested a working drive from my friends laptop that had the exact same model, but it did not work, but mine drive worked in their laptop. The last thing I performed was a factory restore using the built in recovery options using f11 on startup. At this point I am suspecting it is motherboard.

Please help if you found a solution, thanks in advance!

Then if your drive worked in their computer, and their drive did not work in your computer then the issue is with the IDE Controller on the motherboard of your lap top.

The fix relates to issues encountered by running outdated DVD/CD Burning Software on the computer. I had this issue on Windows XP, and it was a direct result of me using an older version of Roxio which caused issues with the builtin burning application that is included with Windows XP and later that is also based on Roxio if my memory serves correct. But saying that it is a common occurrence that drives go missing automatically on Windows Vista is just outrageously wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users