Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair Install Problem`

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Masochist1

Masochist1

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hello

I run XP Pro and IE 6; my AV is AVG (free version) and my firewall is Zone Alarm (free version)

mOle (topic 353312 “Vundo LP, Diversion of Searches”) has been helping me and has now referred me to the XP forum

Briefly, the diversion of searches problem was resolved but I was left with “damage”, caused to the system, mainly inability to save to the desktop; to use right click>send to desktop>create shortcut function and to use file>send to Mail Recipient. There is more detail in 353312, if you are interested

In an attempt to resolve the continuing problems, I attempted a Repair Install. I was able to boot from my CD and got a fair way into the repair process, but then received this error message:

"Your computer's startup program cannot gain access to the disk containing the partition or free space you chose. Setup cannot install Windows XP on this disk. This lack of access does not necessarily indicate an error condition. For example, disks attached to a SCSI adapter that wasn't installed by your computer manufacturer or to a secondary hard disk controller are not typically visible to the startup program unless special software is used......"

I have only two partitions and chose C rather than D

When advising me (I hope you will) please bear in mind that I am rather computer illiterate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

Hi :). Pardon me if I ask for redundant info but it makes it easier for members if we don't have to refer to a previous thread/topic.

System manufacturer and model?

Does your system manufacturer...provide a repair install capability?

FWIW: Even in the best conditions...a repair install is not guaranteed to overcome issues deemed to be embedded in the O/S...that's why clean installs occur often.

Louis

#3 Masochist1

Masochist1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hello - good to hear from you

I have a Dell Dimension 5150C desktop PC

So far as I know,Dell does not provide a repair install capability

I appreciate that a repair install is not guaranteed to overcome everything, but it would be nice to be able to get far enough to find out

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:14 PM

Fair enough :).

What media is being used to attempt this repair install?

What disks are you using to attempt this? Did Dell provide these?

<<I have only two partitions and chose C rather than D>>

I don't follow...a repair install must take place on whatever partition happens to be the system partition...that is, Windows must be installed on that partition already. There should be no option at all, no choice to be made.

From what I see...Dell employs a restore partition on that system and uses the PC Restore procedure. No repair is possible with this procedure.

Louis

#5 Masochist1

Masochist1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

Hello

I don’t understand what “media” means, in this context. mOle said to follow “How to perform a Windows XP Repair Install” by Michael Stevens (http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ) and this is what I have been trying to do

I am using a Dell Reinstallation CD “Windows XP Professional Including Service Pack 2”, with which I can boot the computer. I have no problem with booting normally, but both mOle and Stevens said to use a bootable CD

There is a choice of partition, C or D. Windows is installed on C so I opted for C to repair. I mentioned this only to show that I had not chosen the wrong partition

I know nothing about Dell’s PC Restore procedure, but if, as you say, it is not able to repair, may we forget about it and find something which will repair for me, please?

If I am talking nonsense, I did warn you of my inexperience!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

OK, thanks :).

I'm not familiar with Dell systems and how they might work...so just hang on until someone who is familiar with such wades in.

I don't believe that Dell Reinstallation CDs are geared for repairs...the insructions by Mr. Stevens were not written to be applied to any OEM system made by Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. I believe that he states that the instructions for doing a repair install...are intended for users with the appropriate MS Genuine XP CD...not recovery/restore disks.

Looking at Dell's site...the only disks I see cited as being equivalent to a MS Genuine XP CD...are labeled as "Operating System disks".

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/oswinxp/en/1W832bk0.pdf

Louis

#7 Masochist1

Masochist1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

Hello and thank you

I think that my Reinstallation CD is an "Operating System disk", but no matter. Yes, let's wait to see if someone more familiar with Dell comes in

Meanwhile, may we assume that, for whatever reason, repair is not possible. Can you think of any other way,in which to deal with my problems, please?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

If you have a valid copy of the MS Genuine XP (borrowed, burned by friend, etc.) that reflects the same XP version and at least the same SP as that installed on the system...you should be able to use that, with your Dell license, to attempt a repair install.

As stated before...repair installs are only attempts. They are not guaranteed to resolve any system problems.

Louis

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:09 PM

Hello

In an attempt to resolve the continuing problems, I attempted a Repair Install. I was able to boot from my CD and got a fair way into the repair process, but then received this error message:

"Your computer's startup program cannot gain access to the disk containing the partition or free space you chose. Setup cannot install Windows XP on this disk. This lack of access does not necessarily indicate an error condition. For example, disks attached to a SCSI adapter that wasn't installed by your computer manufacturer or to a secondary hard disk controller are not typically visible to the startup program unless special software is used......"

I have only two partitions and chose C rather than D

To me that means that your computer is missing a driver or that your hard drive does not have the required space to perform a repair installation. I would try booting up in safe mode, and tell us how much space is left on your hard drive. After that, then we can better assist you.

Also do you have the Dell Service Tag number, it should be on the back of the computer.

#10 Masochist1

Masochist1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

Hello

The capacity of C is 48.2GB, of which 30.3GB is used, leaving 17.9GB free
The capacity of D is 97.6, of which just 2.5gb is used, leaving 95.1GB free

I obtained these figures by clicking the respective drives in My Computer and selecting Properties

I do not know how to check whether I am missing a driver

My Dell Service Tag is DJGVV1J

Thank you

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:17 PM

So can you boot up into normal mode or is that out of the question now, and you can only do safe mode?

#12 Masochist1

Masochist1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:34 AM

Hello

Yes. Throughout this saga, I have had no difficulty in booting up in Normal Mode and still can

Thank you

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

I would try running the following: Temp File Cleaner then try performing the repair installation.

#14 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

This post superceded by posts I missed before responding.

Hello and thank you

I think that my Reinstallation CD is an "Operating System disk", but no matter. Yes, let's wait to see if someone more familiar with Dell comes in

Meanwhile, may we assume that, for whatever reason, repair is not possible. Can you think of any other way,in which to deal with my problems, please?

With my Dell disk I have done a repait install, it is just like any other. YOu set to boot device from the disk, you then select Install instead of the Recovery Console, it then looks for prior installation, it then asks if you want to do a repair install or a fressh install.

(There maybe a press F8 in there as well.)

It does help to uninstall SP3 if you have it installed, I have an SP3 disk I burned as well. You also want to roll back to IE6.

After you uninstall SP3 and IE8 &IE7 then you boot from the disk, choose repair, run the repair, update Windows, install SP3, run more Windows updates.

At least that is what I did.

Edited by Mooseby, 30 November 2010 - 12:06 PM.

#15 Masochist1

Masochist1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

Hello Mooseby

Thanks for the input, but all this "rolling back" is just to much for a novice like me! I will have to decide whether to put up with my various problems or to pay for a tech. to come here to sort me out. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users