Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard-drive free space disappearing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NSRailfan

NSRailfan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

Hello all,

New to the forums here. Just found this place googling when I needed help with this issue. I'm hoping I'm in the correct forum for it. If not, my apologizes in advance.

I'm having a bit of an issue lately. My hard-drive space is disappearing MUCH quicker than my downloads are happening. I haven't downloaded anything today and 800MB is gone.

I ran a disc defrag 3 times, CCleaner, RKill, Disc Cleanup. My dis Defrag says I have used 48GB, and have near 27GB free, which is much closer to the reality. However, when I clicked on my computer, the number stayed the same. Rebooted, and it was still hanging around 10GB, it's down to 9.40 now.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I did have Thinkpoint and Ultra Defragger attack my computer, but I thought I properly removed them.

My computer is a HP 6715B laptop with Windows XP professional.

Thanks in advance!

-Cody C.

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2010 - 09:17 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cps68500

cps68500

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

It could be almost anything. 800MB nowadays is not much actually. Temp files are written all the time and and removed all the time.

If you lost say 5GB or something, maybe then worry.

#3 NSRailfan

NSRailfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

I understand that. I use a train simulator, and downloads can eat up a bunch of space. But I'm concerned when I do nothing and I've lost almost a GB a day the last couple days, and no matter what kind of cleaning I do, it doesn't reflect the 27GB it quotes.

-Cody C.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hi Cody & welcome to the forum!!

System restore points can take up a considerable amount of hard drive space
You can safely delete all but the last one
See here

Hope you got Thinlpoint & Ultra Defragger taken care of. Both of them are nasty beasts
You might want to peruse our removal instructions for both here

Once you clean out the restore points and the temporary internet files you might want to defrag the system
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 NSRailfan

NSRailfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hello Eyesee,

System restore was already set as stated in the article, so I didn't have much work to do there.

Also, those were the instructions I followed in uninstalling the two viruses, so there are no traces left. I just double checked.

I also removed some more files, oddly, here's what my defrag looks like now:

Posted Image

Still looking through the add/remove programs list. I swear some of the aplications have far too much memory to them. Screen capture of that:

Posted Image

-Cody

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:23 AM

Disappearing hard drive space is often caused by an infection.
Start new topic in "Am I Infected?" forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 NSRailfan

NSRailfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

Well, I let Kaspersky and Malwarebytes do there thing on the infection front. Both report back with nothing. I'd done full system scans two weeks ago with both, but I made sure I checked again.

Now, the problem has changed... slightly. Disc space disappear has slowed down to points where I'd believe it's just the computer doing it's own thing. However, one issue still stands.

My hard drive will not fragment. I've used the default Windows program, and Puran Defrag. Windows died at 14 percent and said it was done. Puran went all the way through, appeared to do something with all the work it did, but didn't make a difference. My current HD space is 11.61GB Free. It's saying I have 33.21GB if I defrag. No matter how many shots I give it though, it does nothing.

Anyone know what would cause this? Or, is there a program I can use that will actually get the job done?

-Cody C.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

Let's run these please.
Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.4.0.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select FULL scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users