Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

? multisession data dvds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:02 AM

Anybody burn multisession data dvd's on a mac? I used to burn multisession dvd's w/ nero 6 regularly w/out problems on winxp. Nero 8 is supposed to burn multisession dvd+dl's. The mac burning software I've found online seems to specify multisession cds.

Also, some software says it burns cds compatible w/ both pc and mac. I thought the CD & DVD formats were independent of a computer's os - unless you used the packet writing, drag and drop, like-a floppy format.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:48 PM

Anybody burn multisession data dvd's on a mac? I used to burn multisession dvd's w/ nero 6 regularly w/out problems on winxp. Nero 8 is supposed to burn multisession dvd+dl's. The mac burning software I've found online seems to specify multisession cds.

I've never tried third party software, but I did try using Disk Utility once and it worked as intended on a CD-RW. IDK if any of the third party software will burn multi-sessions on -/+R medias, they should with -/+RWs tho.

Also, some software says it burns cds compatible w/ both pc and mac. I thought the CD & DVD formats were independent of a computer's os - unless you used the packet writing, drag and drop, like-a floppy format.

I've read that a Macs SuperDrive "like" some brands, e.g Taiyu Yuden and Verbatims, opposed to others.
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:33 AM

Thanks buddyme2,

I went back and looked thru disk utility help and it does say you can burn a multi-session if you create an image to burn to cd/dvd. I haven't used disk image for that. I don't think that method would be conducive to me making regular backups. I've burnt one dvd using the burn folder method and didn't see any way to do a multisession - doesn't mean it wasn't there but my Switch to the Mac book doesn't list it as one of the things you can do burning optical discs that way. The burn folder also doesn't let you check the size of your compilation since a command+i just gets you the size of the folder w/ aliases.

So I think I need a 3rd party. You can download a trial of Roxio's toast, but that program is so expensive and has mostly features I won't use. Macburn makes the distinction that you can burn "data DVDs, multisession CDs" and doesn't have a trial download. There's a free BurnX program for mac that says it does multisessions I can try. I was hoping to find something like Nero where I could exclude certain file types and save burn compilations. With Nero I could save a multisession compilation and at the end of the day simply put that dvd in the computer and nero would automatically compare it to the folders in the compilation and give me a list of the files that were new/modified and the option to burn them to the disc. Took about a minute. It was a great way to do daily backups as long as nero wouldn't crash and windows would consent to recognize the optical drive.

The majority of serious dvd burners at MyCE forums seem to recommend the Verbatim discs as the ones most optical drives "like" and that's mostly what I've used.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#4 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

Anybody burn multisession data dvd's on a mac?

I feel your pain with Nero, it always crashes, or burns a coaster for me. I still use Nero to edit video. But I export the video and use something else to author the DVD.

I Googled and found some freeware for OSX, called "Burn", but never tried it out.

Just my .02.
Good luck.

Edited by 12x48y, 21 November 2010 - 12:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users