Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

norton makes me run slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dialout

dialout

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

Hi,

my kids use this computer almost exclusively, and they said that yesterday the computer started running real slow. ran all the usual virus scans...mbam, adaware, trend micro...and so on...and found nothing. i have a current version of norton...because it's free from comcast...and i actually think that is the problem.

the computer usage is almost steadily 100%...sometimes it will drop to about 50% then go right back to 100% repeatedly. the CPU usage history graph looks like someones heart is about to explode.

applications shows nothing running.

there is 2 processes that i think are part of the backround of norton that i think are the problem...

ccsvchst.exe is the name...

I tried to remove norton and re install it...and it is still happening...

I think it is stuck trying to update???

any thoughts or advice would be great. It's and old computer, and I am trying to keep it up and running for the kids to screw around on.

its an old dell dimension
running XP pro
version 2002
service pack 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:09 AM

CCsvchst.exe is a part of Norton Internet Security and if you do a Google search you will find numerous complaints about the file utilizing high CPU resources. Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it is known to be a resource hog that can slow down your system and affect performance. The program requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. You could remove it and replace with a free alternative.

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one). I personally would recommend any of the first three.
The correct way to remove any program is to use Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel. However, that does not always work properly so you may need to download and run the Norton Removal Tool

Use the Norton Removal Tool to remove a failed installation or a damaged Norton product. The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003 and later products, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer. If you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases before you proceed.

The steps differ depending on what product you have.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before removing your existing anti-virus, you should download and save the setup file for the anti-virus you are going to replace it with. After doing that, disconnect from the Internet, uninstall your current anti-virus, reboot and then install the replacement. Reboot again to ensure it is working properly before reconnecting to the Internet.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dialout

dialout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

i figured that is what you would say... i removed norton and loaded avira...i had used it in the past, so am familiar with it.

thanks for letting me double check my suspicions.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

You're welcome.

#5 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

To me, it sounds more like a problematic installation due to possible software conflicts with leftover bits of prior antivirus. Normally, Norton products
have no noticeble affect on computer speed unless there is a problem. Scans do use CPU, and many of the extraneous utilities in Comcast can be turned off, but Symantec has really improved the newer versions.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

Symantec has really improved the newer versions.

I have heard that too from other users and should have noted that in my previous reply. However, you still need to pay to use it and the free alternatives are always an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users