Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

skype on lubuntu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nzajax

nzajax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:17 AM

how do i install skype on lubuntu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:45 AM

Try this:

1. Download the Ubuntu version of Skype
2. Use the Archive manager to uncompress it. Alternatively, right click on the deb package and select "extract here"
3. Rename the uncompressed folder, by changing the ending from i386 to lpia. (the folder should be now named: skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_lpia)
4. Open the folder
5. There are 3 files. remove the "debian-binary" file
6. Decompress "control.tar.gz". There are tree files in it.
7. Make a folder "DEBIAN" in the main folder, and placed the 3 files you just decompressed inside it.
8. Open one of the files inside DEBIAN, "control". Change the line "Architecture: i386" into "Architecture: lpia"
9. Open the other archive "data.tar.gz". There is a folder "." inside. Open it (double click). Select both the folders (usr and etc) and select uncompress.
10. Remove the files "control.tar.gz" and "data.tar.gz"
11. You should now have your main folder with the following inside:
DEBIAN folder with tree text files in it (conffiles, control, md5sums); a "usr" folder and a "etc" folder.
12. You are now ready to prepare your lpia deb folder.
13. From the command line, go to the folder that contains your main skype folder you just prepared (most likely named: skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_lpia).
14. type: dpkg --build skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_lpia
15. Your deb package is ready. Double click on it and follow instruction. After installation it should appear in Synaptic, and from there you can remove it at any time.
16. Enjoy!!!

Credit goes to feranick over at the Ubuntu forums. Hope it works.

#3 Goodspeed

Goodspeed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:51 AM

Hi there,

Installed Skype via Terminal & from web....how can I remove all the previous versions......so am able to install it by your suggested way?

How does one configure audio settings i.e input, output, capture, mic, in 10.04 LTS..........using webcam cam e built in mic...Quick cam Pro 9000?

Am facing extreme issues.......audio video wont go simultaneously, plus the bass is too loud?

Could you care to explain it simply & step wise since am new to Linux.

Regards!

#4 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

Hi there,

Installed Skype via Terminal & from web....how can I remove all the previous versions......so am able to install it by your suggested way?

How does one configure audio settings i.e input, output, capture, mic, in 10.04 LTS..........using webcam cam e built in mic...Quick cam Pro 9000?

Am facing extreme issues.......audio video wont go simultaneously, plus the bass is too loud?

Could you care to explain it simply & step wise since am new to Linux.

Regards!

Open Skype and in the bottom left corner of the Skype dialog box click om the blue button(main menu)and select options then select audio device
and/or video device and you can make adjustments from there

#1 Posted Image

#2 Posted Image

#3 Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users