Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

http:// won't work

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 st ?

st ?

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:33 AM

After updating my computer & McAfee then restarting my computer my internet does not work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:16 AM

Assuming you're behind a router:

Try shutting down McAfee and restarting your router.
Wait a couple of minutes and if the internet comes back on, immediately restart McAfee (do not shut down Windows Firewall).

If this fails, please tell me:

Do you know what was updated when Windows Update ran?
Are you running any other security along with McAfee?
Are there any USB devices such as memory sticks attached to the machine?
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#3 st ?

st ?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:38 AM

Dear Micksim,

Do you know what was updated when Windows Update ran? No
Are you running any other security along with McAfee? No
Are there any USB devices such as memory sticks attached to the machine? No

#4 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:43 AM

Dear Micksim,

Do you know what was updated when Windows Update ran? No
Are you running any other security along with McAfee? No
Are there any USB devices such as memory sticks attached to the machine? No

OK we're getting somewhere already!

Now, assuming you're behind a router:

Try shutting down McAfee and restarting your router.
Wait a couple of minutes and if the internet comes back on, immediately restart McAfee (do not shut down Windows Firewall).

If still no joy, please attempt to boot to Command Prompt With Network and let me know if you have internet then.

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

Go to Start> All Programs> Windows Update to see what was updated.

You can do a System Restore which will roll your computer back to a date prior to this problem.

Go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

Click on System Restore and then click on Next for the two following pages.

On the page titled Choose a Restore Point click on a date prior to your current problem and then click on Next. To see earlier restore points click on Show Other Restore Points.

On the following page you will have the option to view the programs and drivers that will be deleted. To go to the next page click on close and then Next.

On the following page click on Finish. You will then be prompted to confirm that you want to start the System Restore by clicking of Yes. This will immediately restart your computer to finish the System Restore.

After the computer has restarted click on Close.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 markp1

markp1

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:02 AM

first check if theres anything wrong with your hosts file
then dump mcafee and get avira antivirus or AVG antivirus which are both free and good
also get malwarebytes anti malware and do a scan with it

Edited by markp1, 17 November 2010 - 11:02 AM.

#7 pominator

pominator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:41 AM

You may also look if your system date is ok, sometime messed system date can restrain certain internet function to work properly.

#8 st ?

st ?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

I am receiving a message
The disk OS (C:) has errors.
Windows has detected file system corruption on OS (C:). You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored.

#9 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

I am receiving a message
Windows has detected file system corruption on OS (C:). You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored.

When do you receive this error?
What were you doing when this error comes up? Is it random or can you associate it with an action?

Anyhow, under the circumstances, it seem fit to run CHCDSK and SFC /SCANNOW.

How to run chkdsk

How to run sfc /scannow

Regards

#10 st ?

st ?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

First it was rude of me not to thank all of you in my last post. Please accept my apology.

This machine still insists on failing these tests.

How do I ,"attempt to boot to Command Prompt With Network and let me know if you have internet then."

Thank you again,

Frustrated St ?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

You hit F8 to boot to Safe Mode With Networking just before the Windows 7 Splash Screen.

#12 st ?

st ?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

Thank you,
Micksim & cryptodan

?st ?, on 18 November 2010 - 01:05 PM, said:

I am receiving a message

When do you receive this error? Its received after I was attempting to System Restore.
What were you doing when this error comes up? Is it random or can you associate it with an action?
It is associated with the computer trying to find & correct files in the C: drive.
Anyhow, under the circumstances, it seem fit to run CHCDSK and SFC /SCANNOW.

Thank you again,

St ?

#13 st ?

st ?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:18 AM

I tried chcdsk and then restarted for it to take effect.
Didn't

Then tried:

"CHKDSK x: /F /R" would perform a full scan (including bad sectors) and attempt to fix them.

And
Acess denied as you may not have sufficient privileges.
You have to invoke the utility running in elevated mode.

Thank you,

Trying

#14 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:55 AM

"CHKDSK x: /F /R" would perform a full scan (including bad sectors) and attempt to fix them.

And
Acess denied as you may not have sufficient privileges.
You have to invoke the utility running in elevated mode.

Assuming the above refers to Command Prompt, did you invoke CMD to Run As Administrator?

#15 st ?

st ?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:36 PM

Thank you, to all of you who tirelessly came to my aid in a time of need. However for this virus the trick to unlock the http was discovered by the gentleman below:

william4399 Jun 3, 2010 9:11am BST

Simple solution to being unable to connect to http sites. Here is the whole story. Had a very nasty virus. rogue malware that says it is anti virus software and reports a virus on your computer and when you launch internet explorer you can only go to their website. Brings in a multitude of popups and contantly says you are being attaced by a virus and asks if you want to launch your antivirus software. Real bugger. Had to download Malwarebytes anti malware on a different computer attached to my network, then place it on a shared file on the network and bring it to the infected computer. Could only install and run in safe mode. It got rid of the virus but when I launched IE8 afterword I could only access https sites and not http sites. Was driving me crazy!! After a few frustrating hours trying to find a solution I was just getting ready to wipe and reinstall everything when I did one last check in the toos section of IE8 and noticed that the proxy box in the connections tab under LAN settings was checked. I unchecked it and checked the auto detect proxy box and my problem was solved. Apparently the virus must have check the proxy box and perhaps put its web address in and that was why I could only go to their web page. As I said, really nasty malware virus. Hope this helps someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users