Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Prevents my PC from booting up past XP progress bar

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:08 AM

My PC (a Clevo/Sager compact desktop from circa-2005, WinXP SP3, 3.20Ghz Pentium 4, 1GB DDR2-533 SD RAM) refuses to boot up past the XP "progress bar" screen. When it's halfway through, a quick BSOD appears and reboots it. I tried booting in Safe Mode, but get a BSOD as well. It was working just fine up until a couple of hours ago, when I decided to reboot it to "refresh it". Didn't notice anything strange before powering off.

I have to mention that this isn't the first time that this has occured. I don't remember what I did to "fix" it the last time around, but I'm suspecting that this may have to do with the PC's CPU overheating. Looking at it, it wasn't the most well-built PC, as it contains a desktop CPU in a large laptop chassis, has several fans that run loud as hell, and feels hot to the touch. In the last year or so, I've been noticing it's performance degrade, as the CPU gets automatically downclocked to 2.6Ghz, with its temperature hovering around 70 to 73 degrees according to EVEREST. I try my best to make the PC run as efficient as possible, program-wise, and despite the degraded performance it still gets the job done. It suffered a nasty virus attack (which BleepingComputer helped me clean up!) well over a year ago that I fear may have left it compromised to this day. I can't even format and reinstall XP because: 1)I need a portable floppy drive to first install the SATA drivers, 2)The XP disc is so scratched up that I wasn't able to slipstream it due to constant CRC errors.

Right now I'm on my ancient Dell PC, and will try turning on the sucker again after letting it cool. But based on my description, can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks.

EDIT: Tried to boot in all forms of Safe Mode, still got BSOD. Tried Recovery Console, got a message that "NTLDR is Compressed, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". After several reboot attempts, my PC simply turns off and I have to manually press Power again. Not looking good.....

Edited by Dave Finlay, 17 November 2010 - 02:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:13 AM

If you want to keep an eye on temperatures then Speed Fan is a small program that will always be a quick click away from teling you CPU usage and Temperatures - I have used it for a few years and found it is great - You just look at the program face to get all Temps for CPU , Motherboard , CPU usage and fan speed - If it is showing very high temps then you will need to open the case and blow the dust , etc out , or replace the fans -

Thank You -

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:11 AM

It would help a great deal if you were to post the model of this laptop that you are referring to. You mention two computers, a desktop and a laptop. If I understand you correctly, you took the CPU our of the desktop and installed it in the laptop?

My first thought is that you need to clean out the dust. Use a product like "Duster" to blow it out, pay special attention to the fan and heat sink on the CPU. My second thought is did you apply enough thermal compound when you changed the CPU? You mention that this has happened before, but don't provide any time line for this. How long ago did this start happening, specifically to the installation of the CPU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:09 AM

No, I'm on my older desktop since my newer laptop (the one having this issue) is not working at all. No CPU changes whatsoever.

The latter is a hand-me-down BTW, so it already had mileage when I got it. I've never opened it up, and have only cleaned it's fan grills from the outside of the case.

I've posted a video of this issue BTW. The model number of this problem laptop is CLEVO D900T/D9T.

During the third reboot it just shut down on me before even getting to the "progress bar" screen. Despite that, the system's fans/CPU were still on despite it being turned off. When that happens, I have to disconnect it to get it to stop.

Edited by Dave Finlay, 17 November 2010 - 10:16 AM.

#5 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:16 AM

Anyone?

I've ruled out the innards being too dusty/overheated, as after leaving it alone for a whole day, I tried turning it on again just now and still get BSOD.

Edited by Dave Finlay, 18 November 2010 - 03:00 AM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:51 PM

Can you boot up in safe mode?

#7 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

I can't boot up in ANY mode, Safe or otherwise. Still get the BSOD and the automatic reboot as shown in my video.

Edited by Dave Finlay, 18 November 2010 - 01:11 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

Do you have a MS Genuine XP CD?

Louis

#9 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

Yes, but as I previously mentioned, this PC requires a portable floppy drive to install SATA drivers when one formats and decides to re-install Windows. I tried slipstreaming the SATA drivers and SP3 into a new XP disc with nLite, but my XP CD was too scratched up and brought up a lot of CRC errors, preventing me from creating a new disc.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

Sooo...you don't have a useable disk?

I think you need to try to do something about scratches, whatever makes it unuseable. Not much need for a disk that doesn't function properly.

Once you get that resolved...I suggest an attempted repair install of XP.

Louis

#11 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:20 PM

I tried booting to Setup from my XP CD several times just now, but each time got error messages that stopped Setup dead in it's tracks. It appears that the disc is scratched beyond repair, 'lest I get my hands on one of those scratch removal thingies.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

Can you borrow one?

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:41 PM

refuses to boot up past the XP "progress bar" screen. When it's halfway through, a quick BSOD appears and reboots it

Let's have a look at those BSOD error messages ...

Please do the following:

:step1: Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
  • Record the error message details, and post in this thread.

Posted Image

Posted Image

:step2: Try the following ...
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key.
  • The computer will attempt to load Windows.
  • If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
EXAMPLE OF A CASE IN POINT: Why 10 times?
christiedell "L K G C worked on try 5!"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic267221.html
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#14 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

Okay, here are the details of the BSOD:

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A3D524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

It suggests that I check for viruses on my computer, remove any newly installed HDD's or hard drive controllers, check my HDD to see if it's properly configured and terminated, and run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart my PC.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:23 PM

I've posted a video of this issue

After "Scanning IDE drives ... " ... which I do not see any of ... ?

I see a "strange" page that appears to indicate that perhaps you are using a RAID array?

ID = 1
MODE = 1+0 Stripe
SIZE = 88026M
TRACK-MAPPING = 9729/255/63
STATUS = Functional

Press <Ctrl-F> to enter FastBuild ™ Utility ...

What do you see when you press <Ctrl-F> at that time?

How many hard drives are present and connected inside the box?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users