Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting away with a new application

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nirav Zaveri

Nirav Zaveri

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:56 PM

Hi,

I recently learned Core Java and Data Structures. I know a good bit of HTML and CSS. I am currently learning Javascripting. I am also done with the basic course on VB (of course its so out dated!)

I recently had an idea to develop a Windows Wallpaper application along with which to display an inspiration quote, which I would describe as here:

A windows wallpaper application which randomly picks Wallpapers from a particular folder and sets it to Desktop Background with an inspirational quote.

Grabbing an Inspirational quote, can be done from a particular text file. One can add the quotes that one wishes in the same text file. Or what more can be done is a number of text files can be placed in a folder, and the text from it is displayed along with the wallpaper. This is a direct Windows Application as it goes directly into System files and folders.
1. How can I get a kicks tart and what's the best programming environment for this?
2. Also, what knowledge will I require for the same?

Later, I wish to extend this such that the Wallpaper as well as the Inspiration Quote to sync with an Internet Server.

Edited by Nirav Zaveri, 16 November 2010 - 09:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

Basically this requires knowledge of GDI+ : to take a wallpaper file, superimpose the quote and save the result into another image file.
Also do some MSDN research on SystemParametersInfo() which is how you set a wallpaper (also called desktop background) in Windows.

Best programming environment? I think you should choose a calm place near a river where you can program all day long :hysterical:

#3 Nirav Zaveri

Nirav Zaveri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

Basically this requires knowledge of GDI+ : to take a wallpaper file, superimpose the quote and save the result into another image file.
Also do some MSDN research on SystemParametersInfo() which is how you set a wallpaper (also called desktop background) in Windows.

Oh, that's great bit of info already! Thanks a lot!

Best programming environment? I think you should choose a calm place near a river where you can program all day long :hysterical:

Haha. That's some piece of advice! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users