Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary Limited or No Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 macman104

macman104

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

Windows XP, Inspiron 1525 laptop, on a linksys WRT54GC (Firmware 1.06.1). I power up my computer, and the wireless indicates limited or no connectivity. However, give the computer 5-10 minutes, and eventually it establishes a connection. I've never had this type of issue before, and while it is in the limited/no connectivity state, nothing I do will speed up the process.

Tried:

Auto repairing wireless connection
Release/Renew in ipconfig
Repair winsock settings

It is really an annoyance at this point, and it is tied solely to my computer, as no one else in my house is experiencing this problem (3 other laptop users). I see one warning that may be related in the event viewer:

"Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 002269A183CC. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

Below is the output from ipconfig /all, granted this was during a time while I was connected, will try to grab an output when I am not having a successful connection.

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mac
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : vpn.umn.edu

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-69-A1-83-CC
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.106
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:07:13 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:07:13 AM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-9B-F0-E0-23

Thanks for any insight or thoughts on the matter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

macman104,

Try changing your DNS to 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1, unless that's just a typeo.
Give any more info that you may have noticed or that you already solved this problem.

#3 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:18 PM

The DHCP server on your router may be disabled. To fix this, re enable the DHCP server setting by logging into your router, or you can try setting a static IP address on your computer.
Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

#4 macman104

macman104
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for the ideas, the output from the ipconfig is correct. I checked the DNS value in the router, and it is indeed set to 192.168.0.1. DHCP is enabled on the router. I still have not totally solved the issue, however, I think something that was hindering it was the Bonjour service. I eventually found reports that the service can muck up the computers connection to the router and not cause the correct release or renewal of IP information.

It always disappears after a few minutes of insisting that it cannot connect. It seems that as soon as I have been able to receive enough packets, then it can connect. And it only happens on the one router, no other routers or places that I use the wireless experience this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users