Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acronis question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

I have a copy of Seagates Acronis, I have used it on my back up machine to copy one drive to another with no issues. I want to clone my big machines drive, when I start Seagate I get a message that I must have atleast one Seagate or Maxtor drive. The drive I want to copy to is a Maxtor but the master with all the goodies on it is a WD, any ideas how to get around the issue.

Phil

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:55 PM

If the drive you want to copy to is a Maxtor, then you meet the requirement of having at least one Seagate or Maxtor drive. However I know that when booting from Acronis CD, a single qualifying drive needs to be a fixed drive not a removable drive, and the same may apply using it as a Windows app from the current hard drive - I haven't tried that. If the Maxtor drive is connected to one of the mainboard ports, there should be no problem. The DiskWizard Acronis version should see it and be happy.

An alternative approach is to use the WD version of the same software, downloadable from the page for your drive model on Western Digital's website.

Edited by Platypus, 16 November 2010 - 08:59 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:12 PM

They have both been in the machine for awhile now that is what has me stumped, I am not using the CD I am using the free down load from the Seagate site. Maybe it is date stamped!

Phil

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,723 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

By CD I mean the bootable media created from the option within DiskWizard. Since it was Seagate who took over Maxtor, I guess it's possible DiskWizard mightn't recognise all Maxtor drives. Have you obtained the most recent version of DiskWizard? I don't know if it has been updated at all over time.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

hi yes I did a Revo job on the copy I had and down loaded a hew copy with the same result

Phil

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,723 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:47 AM

I found an 80GB Maxtor IDE drive and popped it in a spare computer. The DiskWizard boot CD recognises it without hesitation and offers to image or clone it.

Is your Maxtor a SATA drive? If it is, maybe the problem lies with the combination of Acronis, the motherboard SATA chipset and the Maxtor drive. Is the WD drive SATA?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,723 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

What I'm thinking is that if the Maxtor is SATA, and the WD is either IDE or it's SATA but using IDE emulation mode for the sake of XP, then Windows having no SATA drivers loaded might be why Acronis isn't seeing the Maxtor. In that case, installing SATA drivers for your mainboard might be what's needed.

Edited by Platypus, 18 November 2010 - 08:16 PM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:53 PM

Hi both drives are SATA the board has 4 x SATAII 3.0 Gb/s slots, I loaded all the boards drivers. I will check to see if there are update SATA drivers who knows that may be the issue. The board is a ASRock ConRoe 1333-D667 v2

Phil

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,723 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

At the moment I don't have any more ideas, hope the driver approach bears fruit...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users