Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom LoginUI.exe is a problem with NTFS.sys

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:16 PM

Today's been a bad day for me.
I downloaded a custom startup screen exe from ThemeXP.com and it's become a major problem for my HP Mini 1000 netbook. I don't want to be lectured about the whole "replacing .exe files in the system32 folder" problem, it'll never happen again if I get this fixed. After restarting, Windows seems to be corrupt. Instead of booting, it claims that NTFS.sys is missing and must be replaced. I would replace this but for several reasons I cannot do anything. The hard drive uses ZIF connectors so I can't hook it up to my desktop to fix it, I don't have the original XP CD's to run a repair to replace NTFS.sys... am I missing something here? I'm very frustrated with myself and with my laptop.

On a side note I installed Chromium OS on my thumb drive and now it's convinced that it's 250MB instead of the proper 16GB, even after reformatting. What can I do to fix this nuisance?

Any ideas with either of those 2 problems?

p.s. The two applications in question are NTOSKRNL.exe and LOGINUI.exe, both in the system32 folder. The only problem file seems to be NTFS.sys but we'll see what happens if I get that fixed...

Edited by Ryan 3000, 16 November 2010 - 06:27 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

For reading purposes, NTFS.sys Missing

Running the chkdsk /r command on the C: partition...is what I would suggest.

Louis

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

For reading purposes, NTFS.sys Missing

Running the chkdsk /r command on the C: partition...is what I would suggest.

Louis

I'm sorry my response was such a jumble. I'm unable to run chkdsk because I can't get Windows started. In addition I can't transplant the hard drive to a working PC because of its unique ZIF connector. I considered plugging in a USB drive with Linux or similar software on it, because the only thing broken is Windows not the computer itself, but I'm unsure what I would do from that point, and I don't have much experience with Linux either.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:02 AM

Let's await some input from other members :).

Louis

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:47 AM

We can replace these files with spare copies on the system, but first I need to know what Service Pack is installed.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

Once I know what service pack is installed, I can give you some more instructions.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:01 PM

Problem solved! After many attempts to repair or reinstall Windows XP to my netbook, none of which worked, I finally found a cool tool called WinSetupFromUSB. While it basically burns the XP bootdisk to a thumbdrive like many other programs, it adds a sweet little bonus program on my USB that lets me boot into a broken version of Windows, while substituting any missing files (in my case I was missing NTFS.sys). Once I got into the patched-up XP on my computer, I was able to fix the problem and now it's all good. Highly recommend that program. I imagine it would be extremely useful for fixing any broken copy of XP where the problem lay in the System32/Drivers folder.

I'd like to note that this solution is a huge workaround and is only suitable on a netbook, which has no CD drive nor a transplantable hard drive.

Edited by elise025, 19 November 2010 - 06:52 AM.
Last comment removed as it is in violation with BC's board rules ~ Elise

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,207 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:19 PM

Hi, I am glad you were able to fix things.

I was not able to download the tool you mentioned (low download speed), however, if this contains copyrighted (microsoft) files, it is not legal.

However, there are any number of bootable CD's that can accomplish this without being illegal (linux live CD's like Ubuntu, or Puppy, PE disks like BartPE or UBCD4Win).

It can be a bit of a problem when you don't know which file is the culprit though.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:57 PM

It's not quite what you've described. It requires you to give it a Windows ISO. It simply uses the files from that ISO file to substitute for any broken ones. The program itself does not contain any of these files. It just uses them from the disc in a creative and useful way (legal as far as you've described).

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,207 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:37 AM

Hi, as said, I couldn't try it, however Windows does not come as an .iso usually. Were you to create an .iso file from your Windows CD, that is some work, whereas other tools like BartPE have a PE builder that is quite user friendly.

Downloading an XP iso is in no case legal.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users