Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows breaks down after a few hours

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WinstonAMC

WinstonAMC

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

Hi everyone,

well I am at my very last trying to solve this on my own, so I thought I'd go to some experts. Basically, when I boot windows, things are unhappy from the getgo. ATI's ccc.exe errors right off the bat and then ATI won't work. Flash player crashes at some point anywhere from an hour to several hours. Text eventually disappears from my web browsers and microsoft word, at which point I am unable to open many programs on account of dll files being missing. And then I often get image file cannot be written or something like that. If I run wise registry cleaner, there are a ton of errors I think 44 of which cannot be fixed and even if I run it, a few hours later a second scan will reveal new registry errors. For the love of god, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

Well...you've done two things incorrectly, IMO.

a. You have installed/run a registry cleaner application.

b. You failed to write down the error message by which Windows was attempting to point to the perceived problem.

System manufacturer and model?

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2010 - 07:21 PM.

#3 WinstonAMC

WinstonAMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

Okay, thanks for that, I had no idea!

My computer is a Dell Vostro 1000 running XP, and here are some errors:

"chrome.dll is not a valid windows image" (this one could be replaced with a variety of .dll files, cause it isn't the only one.

"application module ccwkrlib.dll AVWSC.exe could not be started" I think that is correct, but it may have been two errors

"The instructional "0x00402486" referenced memory at 0x00000000" the memory could not be read

Hope that is helpful and sorry if I didn't start my post right

#4 WinstonAMC

WinstonAMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:41 PM

*bump* any ideas anyone?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#6 WinstonAMC

WinstonAMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

Hey Louis,

Thanks so much for the help! I was just telling my wife about this forum and she was shocked that this kind of thing exists!

Anyway, here is the report

==================================================
Dump File : Mini110510-01.dmp
Crash Time : 11/4/2010 11:24:22 PM
Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x1000000a
Parameter 1 : 0xffffffe0
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x80537402
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+60402
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5973 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110510-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600

Dump File : Mini110410-01.dmp
Crash Time : 11/4/2010 8:38:36 PM
Bug Check String : NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
Bug Check Code : 0x00000024
Parameter 1 : 0x001902fe
Parameter 2 : 0xf794ae44
Parameter 3 : 0xf794ab40
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : Ntfs.sys
Caused By Address : Ntfs.sys+dff0
File Description : NT File System Driver
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110410-01.dmp

Dump File : Mini110310-01.dmp
Crash Time : 11/3/2010 3:51:11 PM
Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code : 0x10000050
Parameter 1 : 0xeaf78098
Parameter 2 : 0x00000001
Parameter 3 : 0xbf1dd2bc
Parameter 4 : 0x00000001
Caused By Driver : ati3duag.dll
Caused By Address : ati3duag.dll+af2bc
File Description : ati3duag.dll
Product Name : ATI Technologies Inc. Radeon DirectX Universal Driver
Company : ATI Technologies Inc.
File Version : 6.14.10.0647
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110310-01.dmp

Dump File : Mini100210-01.dmp
Crash Time : 10/2/2010 11:38:04 AM
Bug Check String : NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
Bug Check Code : 0x00000024
Parameter 1 : 0x001902fe
Parameter 2 : 0xb67ab6cc
Parameter 3 : 0xb67ab3c8
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : Ntfs.sys
Caused By Address : Ntfs.sys+21acf
File Description : NT File System Driver
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100210-01.dmp

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

Can you boot into Windows long enough to uninstall the video drivers...then reboot and let them reinstall or reinstall them yourself?

Since you have a Dell, you should have the XP Recovery Console. I suggest going into that and running the chkdsk /r command (note, space between r and /).

I would run the chkdsk /r command first, then worry about the ATI drivers :).

You have STOP 24 errors...which can be a file problem, a file system/partition problem, or a hard drive problem. The chkdsk /r problem may help us determine which it is not :).

Louis

#8 WinstonAMC

WinstonAMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:14 PM

hi,

so, I uninstalled my video driver and after much travail, reinstalled that and the other drivers that the dell website suggested. I don't think, however, that XP Recovery console. I tried wt the run program and it asked me if I wanted to do chkdsk /r the next time I restart, but I wasn't sure if they were equivalent and didn't want to mess anything up. Also, after reinstalling the drivers, ccc.exe doesn't seem to get an error at bootup. However, my system still breaks down after a few hours. What should I do? Should I run chkdsk as I mentioned?

#9 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

I would run chkdsk but it may take a while if you run it as chkdsk C: /r, if you go to Start>RUN, and enter CMD, then it will open the DOS window then enter 'chkdsk C: /r', without the scarce quotes. It will probably say 'The system is NTFS, do you want to run chkdsk at next reboot', say yes, and then reboot, it may take an hour or more. Usually about 45 minutes.

Edited by Mooseby, 21 November 2010 - 05:39 PM.

#10 WinstonAMC

WinstonAMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

hi, so I ran the checkdisk and it said everything was okay. So, I am not sure where the problem is.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:26 PM

Well...I would run the appropriate diagnostic (long, not short test) on the hard drive.

It won't hurt and it helps to know that you don't have hard drive problems.

Louis

#12 WinstonAMC

WinstonAMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

I'm sorry to be an idiot but what kind of diagnostic test would that be. Thanks for all the help

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:18 AM

Your hard drive is made by a company...most of those companies provide a diagnostic utility which can be used by any user to asssess the condition of the hard drive.

There is no generic utility that I know of which works on all hard drives...so users must look at the specs for the hard drive to see who the manufacturer is (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter...then click on Disk Drives to see the model number), then go to the website of the hard drive manufacturer and download the appropriate utility.

The utility in .iso format is the one wanted, if different formats are offered. (If .iso file is not offered, download utility and put on floppy.)

This is normally then burned to CD...result is a bootable CD which contains the diagnostic.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Louis

<<If I run wise registry cleaner, there are a ton of errors I think 44 of which cannot be fixed and even if I run it, a few hours later a second scan will reveal new registry errors>>

If the hard drive is good...then I suspect that your use of such...has damaged your O/S and you need to either clean install, repair install...or run the sfc /scannow command.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Edited by hamluis, 22 November 2010 - 07:22 AM.

#14 WinstonAMC

WinstonAMC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

Hi, hope everyone had a good holiday. So I ran the test and wrote down the errors which were summarily thrown away by my wife. Redid the test and here is the list of errors.

This first error popped up before the actual diagnosis run began:
error code 4600:0009
msg: SMBIOS Dvise_init_failure smbios

During the express test the following 2 errors popped up
0F00:137B
msg: DVDRW_4:Disk is missing / blank...

0F00:065D
msg: Disk_0-Self-test Read Error

And these errors during the full test

5E00:0217
msg: USB_Device-is not responding

0F00:0244
msg:Disk_0-Block 191266219: Can't read, replace disk or remove write protection
0F00:1A44
exactly the same as above

4400:01BF
msg: SCSI_0-)))_Disk-0-:_ST650211 USB-UB device was removed

Hope this is illuminating! Thanks again for the help!

#15 P.C.Guy

P.C.Guy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for sharing the information about the registry cleaners. I've never really heard about how they can damage your system, but it makes sense.
My Blog: New PC Tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users