Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable anti virus applications.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 talx

talx

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

I am lookng for a portable antivirus to put on a memory stick but i want one that will stop any virus from jumping from the pc to my memory stick (is ther such a thing) iv got portable antivirus app' that will let you scan the pc its inserted to but i want one that will automaticaly detect if a virus is trying to infect the memory stick, someone told me about an application called MK ONE has anybody used this, i know you can scan your memory stick after it has been inserted into a pc with a virus checker on a pc but i dont want the virus to get on the memory stick in the first place, any ideas thanks all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:01 PM

Take a look here: Portable ClamWin on a USB or Removable Drive

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 talx

talx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

Iv got clamwin on my memory stick but that dont automatically stop any viruses getting on my memory stick you got to open the app up select which drive you want to scan, i dont think it will scan itself, i want a portable antivirus that when i insert into an infected pc and if that virus tries to jump over the the memory stick the anti virus app' will say 'virus just tried to infect this memory stick but was stopped' or words to that effect.

#4 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:29 PM

I'm not sure as to the existence of real-time security per-se on a memory stick, but there are several methods to achieve pretty good prevention and protection levels.

Check out this great post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic265672.html

And this article 10 Practical Ways to Prevent USB-Borne Virus Infection
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

If using Windows 7, be aware that in order to help prevent malware from spreading with AutoRun, the Windows 7 engineering team made important changes. Please refer to:
You can download and use Autorun Eater or Autorun USB Virus Finder which will allow removal of any suspicious 'autorun.inf' files they find.

Other scanning tools:
  • Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. For usb flash drives and/or other removable drives, perform a Full scan. The option for a Flash Scan will analyze memory and autorun objects but that option is only available to licensed users in the paid version.
  • Norman Malware Cleaner. Be sure to print out the instructions provided on the same page. For usb flash drives and/or other removable drives to scan, use the Add button to browse to the drives location, click on the drive to highlight and choose Ok.
  • Dr.Web CureIt. Choose Custom Scan after the Express Scan has finished to add your usb drive to the scan.
    McAfee Avert Stinger Tool.
-- As an extra precaution, hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present. Then perform your scans.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:09 PM

This is very hard to do. Usually malware run automatically and do what they do when you insert a USB stick into your computer. This is why they made changes in Windows 7 and disabled autorun feature from USB sticks. Now you want to run an anti-virus automatically from the USB stick. You are going in the wrong direction.

If you are use your USB stick in computers which might be infected, then you need a USB stick with write protect switch.

Edited by Romeo29, 16 November 2010 - 11:09 PM.

#7 talx

talx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

thanks for all your suggestions i think the best way to get around this is to get a memory stick with the protect switch/option on it so nothing can write itself to it from an infected pc the only problem i can see with this is if i insert it into an infected pc and run one of the sercurity apps on the stick and it finds a virus or whatever on the pc it wont be able to put that virus into the vault (as the memory stick is locked) but at least i will know whats wrong with the pc. thanks again all.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

Some USB flash drives have a write protect switch integrated on the side or on the back for preventing the content from being erased or overwritten. If your USB drive does not have such a switch, there are third-party utilities which can provide this type of protection.IMPORTANT NOTE: DSi USB Write-Blocker advises USB devices you wish to write-block must be disconnected from the computer before the write block is enabled.

#9 talx

talx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

Anybody know of any sites in the uk that sells memory sticks with this 'write protect' switch on, i have had a go of searching but seem to be going around in circles. thanks

#10 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:57 PM

Anybody know of any sites in the uk that sells memory sticks with this 'write protect' switch on, i have had a go of searching but seem to be going around in circles. thanks

Here

Here

Here

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#11 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:31 AM

I recommend another solution that is easier to find: an sd-card http://blog.didierstevens.com/2009/12/20/quickpost-read-only-usb-stick/

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:01 AM

Looking for a USB Flash Drive with Read Only or Write Protect Switch

#13 talx

talx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

Didier: Yes i was only thinking about doing it this way the other day, and it seems mostly all sd cards have this switch and are cheaper than memory sticks thanks for reminding me, and you can get a sd card adapter (sd to usb) for £1. in those 'pound shops' sorted.

#14 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:57 PM

Didier: Yes i was only thinking about doing it this way the other day, and it seems mostly all sd cards have this switch and are cheaper than memory sticks thanks for reminding me, and you can get a sd card adapter (sd to usb) for £1. in those 'pound shops' sorted.

The reasons why prices vary most of the times will have something to do with read and write speeds, compatibility, dual-channel (or not), encryption and the list goes on. It also directly related to the capabilities of the technology itself (comparing the technology used in sdCards and memory sticks).

So, unless you're willing to give up on all the nice features (mostly speed) a more expensive drive has to offer, then go ahead and spend £1.

Also remember that typically, a switch write protected memory stick works at the hardware level - the switch actually disables the electronic circuitry that is used to perform writes. Without that circuitry working you simply cannot write data to the device - you can only read.

On the other hand, SD Cards, while they have a write-protect switch, are actually no good for this purpose because itís not actually hardware write protection Ė at best the card reader sends a signal to the operating system that the drive should be treated as read-only. The write-protect switch on the cards is read by a sensor thatís part of the card reader, and the card reader then passes along to the operating system whether the card is read-only. According to the specification from http://www.sdcard.org/:

A proper, matched, switch on the socket side will indicate to the host that the card is write-protected or not. It is the responsibility of the host to protect the card. The position of the write protect switch is unknown to the internal circuitry of the card.

Basically this means that either a-cheap card readers that lack the sensor or b-operating systems or malware that donít respect the ďplease donít write to this diskĒ flag can write to the drive. While this may not be likely, itís also not as secure as you might think based on the presence of that switch.

Some parts of this post have been extracted from here and here. I found these very informative and stood true all over the Web as I carried out my research.

Hope it helps :busy:

#15 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:43 PM

I have found that SD cards are way slower compared to USB sticks - I do not know why. If you read Didier's post he mentions that even with SD card write-protect switch on, he could write data on it. So some SD cards do not really respect standards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users