Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any way to examine/resurrect a boot HD gone bad?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

An attempted SP3 upgrade on my Dell dimension 4300 XP Home machine failed, and made my XP non-useable. I have no Install disks, no backup, no DVDs or CDs of any kind that could be used to recover, and I cannot get into SAFE mode. I get partway into booting up, then I get an error message. (I feel appropriately foolish and disgusted with myself.)

I am wondering if I could resurrect this drive *if* I could install it in a bootable machine. If I could do that, I could then examine it and perhaps fix what's wrong.

But it was a C: drive, and clearly, XP has to be able to recognize this as something other than a C: drive. I figure I'll need some software to do this, and also, I have to be able to connect it to be recognized as "hard drive other than the boot drive".

Anyone have any experience at this, or any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

In my experience a boot drive will always be the first boot drive chosen on a computer.
That is to say, adding a second drive that is also 'bootable' should have no affect on your computer, except it will be visible in My Computer.
Hook-up away...

Side-note: By default the new drive might not be recognized by My Computer. You'll have to right-click My Computer from the Start Menu, click 'Manage', go to Disk Management, and find your un-named drive. Right-click it and click 'Assign Drive Letter or Path'. Now it's accessible from My Computer.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 16 November 2010 - 06:32 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users