Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 10.10 Installer repeatedly crashes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thom c.

thom c.

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

My issue is this:

I am not able to connect to the internet as of now, as I am missing the Wireless Driver, so I cannot upload the files I need to in order for the bug to be analyzed by the folks at Launchpad. Due to a nasty trojan (Backdoor: Win32/Cycbot.B) , I had to clear my entire drive (I was previously using Windows 7, and I use a Dell Inspiron 640m), so now I am completely without an OS, and the Ubuntu 10.10 installer keeps crashing.

I first get '[Errno 5] Input/output error', and then an error message that says that the installer has crashed, and I should report the bug to Launchpad and attach files /var/log/syslog and /var/log/partman. Unfortunately, I do not have the means to do so without being able to connect to the internet. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:59 AM

'[Errno 5] Input/output error'

Is usually a hardware issue.I would try the following:

1.Re burn the media used that you are using to install. (your installation image may be corrupt)
2.Check to see if your system is overheating.(Does it feel hot to the touch stuff like that)
3.check your hard drive for any bad sectors. ( dell has a few diagnostic cds you can use for that or just post back here with the make and model of your hard drive)
4.try the alternative installation for ubuntu (mostly text mode, but pretty straight forward)

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users