Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-Virus Cold Calls

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

Thought that this may be of interest: we've all heard of scareware, but now cold calls too...

Internet users are being warned about cold-callers who offer to fix viruses but then install software to steal personal information.

Campaign group Get Safe Online said a quarter of people it had questioned had received such calls, many suspected to have been from organised crime gangs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11754487

Have you ever been called, with the offer for someone to clean your PC?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

My Mother had one of these calls when I was at her house last Sunday. She told me someone from Microsoft was saying that a virus had been detected on her computer. She handed me the phone but basically annoyance got the better of me whilst talking to this guy. So I ended up telling him to *bleep* off and never to phone here again.

I wish I hadn't got angry really. I had my laptop with me, so I could have played along with the guy for a while. Then I would have told him that I'd captured his executable and would shortly be distributing it to every major security software company in the world. I expect these 'scammers' get told to *bleep* off on a regular basis, so they are probably used to it. But I doubt these 'scammers' talk to people who are learning to remove malware very often, so that might have thrown him a bit of a curve ball. lol.

NOTE: I have VMware Workstation 7 on my laptop, so it's basically bulletproof as far as malware is concerned. It's not a good idea to play around with malware in a non-VM environment unless you know exactly what you are doing. And I haven't finished my malware removal training yet, so I'm sticking to VM for now.

Edited by marktreg, 17 November 2010 - 12:04 PM.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

How can you protect yourself against Cold Calling?
Simply by ignoring any unsolicited calls that offer free software checks (free check of your computer for problems, updates or malware) or promote antivirus. Most of the reputed antivirus software companies do not contact your without prior permission, notice or request.

If you suspect that a scammer has called you, then you can report them to ActionFraud.org.uk if you are living in the UK, ScamWatch.gov.au if you are in the Australia and IC3.gov if you are in the USA.

http://wildsecurity.blogspot.com/2010/11/cold-calling-to-sell-fake-antivirus-in.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users