Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card install

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 WatDabney

WatDabney

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:21 PM

I have a desktop computer that was upgraded to a fresh install of W7. I bought a new GeForce 8400gs graphics card and installed it following all the instructions but when I start up the system the monitor never turns on. I have tried to start in BIOS and set the display port from PCI to (now I can't think of the other option?? is it AGP?) and tried different slots with the card and nothing seems to be working. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Specs:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 GHz
Ram: 2.5GB
32 bit Windows 7 Professional

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LadyKeys

LadyKeys

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

Hello -

Your new GeForce 8400GS is a PCI-Express card and as such requires that type slot. I cannot tell, by the specs you posted, what type computer you have or the motherboard in it. I am only guessing here but I'm assuming the system is older than one that would have a PCI or PCIe video card slot. Another thing: you cannot "try different slots" with the card. If the card is PCIe you can't put it in a PCI slot. AGP is "old technology" and the card wouldn't go in that slot anyway.

Please post the Make/Model of the computer and how many slots you have. If you possibly can also post the type slots you have. Again, I'm guessing but I think you are trying to put a PCIe card in a PCI slot or worse yet, an AGP slot.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#4 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

No I am not trying to put it into the slot that holds the original generic video card because it is obvious that it will not fit there. I'm pretty good with computers, just don't know the names of all the internal components. The new graphics card is a PCI not a PCIe. I don't have any "express" slots but I do have 4 PCI slots (one has the modem in it still), and 1 AGP slot.

The computer is an older Gateway, the tag on the back says 2003, model number 510s.

#5 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4kgArXpCsTYvwl79LRrfzf1

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

Do you have the exact model number of the Video Card?

#7 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

it is a PNY GeForce 8400 GS PCI - 512 MB DDR2

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

Now do you have a DVI or VGA Connector?

The blue is the VGA and the White is the DVI have you tried the VGA Side yet?

#9 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

I have the blue VGA connection

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

Do you currently have an AGP Geforce 4 installed in it?

#11 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

No I currently have a generic video card installed. When I try to put the new one in, the monitor never turns on once I restart the system. I always have to shut it down and put the old one back in.

#12 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

hello?

#13 du hoc my

du hoc my

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:02 AM

Steps to Installing a Graphics Card

1. Turn off your computer and unplug all power cords. Remove the side panel to gain access to the inside of your computer. Donít touch any of the components inside.

2. With the side panel off, lay your computer on its side. Locate either the AGP or PCI-Express slot on your motherboard, depending on which your motherboard has.

3. If youíre building this computer for the first time, the IO plate covering the AGP/PCI-Express slot in the back of your computer should still be in place. Remove it, being careful not to touch any components. Some cases have their IO plates secured with screws or tabs, others simply require you to twist them off.

4. Now itís time to get your baby out. Gently remove your graphics card from its box, holding it by the edges. Itís a good idea to keep your graphics card in its box until the very moment youíre going to install it.

5. Now youíre ready to plug your card into the AGP or PCI-Express slot. Do this gently, but make sure its firmly slotted in. When your graphic card is in place, you need to secure your card to the case. This is usually done with a screw, but yours may have another method.

6. Once the graphics card has been secured to the case, you can re-install the side panel of your case, connect your monitor to your graphics card, and turn your computer back on!

Installing the Drivers
Now that your graphics card has been installed, the only thing left to do is install the drivers. Your graphics card should come with its own drivers on CD, so once youíve turned your PC on, simply insert the drivers CD and follow the instructions.

Itís important to note that the drivers that come with your graphics card are usually outdated. So you will need to visit your video card manufacturerís website and download the latest drivers.

Conclusion
That's all there is to installing a graphics card. As you can see it's very quick and easy to do. Now that you've installed it all yourself, just remember to enjoy your new graphics card!

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:08 AM

Do you currently have an AGP Geforce 4 installed in it?

No I currently have a generic video card installed. When I try to put the new one in, the monitor never turns on once I restart the system. I always have to shut it down and put the old one back in.

Monitor
Name: DELL E773c on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Current Resolution: 1024x768 pixels
Work Resolution: 1024x768 pixels
State: enabled, primary, output devices support, VgaCompatible, Unsafe
Monitor Width: 1024
Monitor Height: 768
Monitor BPP: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency: 1 Hz
Device: \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
GPU: NV18
Device ID: 10DE-0181
Revision: A3
Subvendor: nVidia (10DE)
Technology: 150 nm
Transistors: 29 M
Release Date: Oct 2002
DirectX Support: 7.0
OpenGL Support: 1.2
Driver: nvlddmkm.sys
Driver version: 8.17.11.9745
ForceWare version: 197.45
BIOS Version: Chip Rev A2
ROPs: 2
Shaders: Vertex 2/Pixel 2
Memory Type: DDR Memory: 64 MB
Bus Width: 128 Bit

That would be your video card its an nVidia GeForce 4 card. It is AGP 8x. You may want to remove it before installing your 8400GS.

#15 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

Ok, I am removing the GeForce 4 card and installing the new card and following all the instructions provided. I have tried this many times. My issue is that when I do all of that and turn the computer on, the monitor does not show any display (not turning on).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users