Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 d0z3r

d0z3r

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

I am looking to build a new custom that I can use for high performance gaming and image editing. My only problem is right now I only have a budget of $800-$900 unlike my last one that was $2700. I cannot keep the other computer because I am moving and becasue I didn't pay for it, it needs to stay. I can slowly upgrade later on but for right now I need at least a high performance cpu and gpu. lol I'm not very good at finding low priced hardware :blink:
Customer: I'm running Windows '98
Tech: Yes.
Customer: My computer isn't working now.
Tech: Yes, you said that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:54 AM

It shouldn't be too difficult to find something around $900.

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - This will hold a Radeon 5850, which is large enough for all but the largest graphics cards. If you want those, you will need a larger, more expensive full ATX case. Same thing if you want to use Crossfire with higher performing cards. $59

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 - This is a basic motherboard for AM3 CPU's. This does not have the high dual PCI-E X16 speeds of an 890FX chipset, but it still allows for Crossfire. Like most AMD 8 series chipsets, this has USB 3.0 and SATA 6. If you think you will be using Crossfire with high-performance GPU's, you may want a motherboard with the 890FX chipset. $98

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB - This is part of the new Radeon 6 series of graphics card. The 6850 is considered a mid-level card with performance somewhere between the Radeon 5830 and the 5850. If you want a higher performing card, such as the HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB, you may need a larger case. $199

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600W - This will provide more than enough power, even for some Crossfire setups. $69

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz - As you work with imaging, which may have applications that use more than four cores, AMD's flagship CPU may be a good option for you. This is a six-core Black Edition CPU, which makes it easy to overclock. $229

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - This is enough RAM for most users, if you need more, just add another 4GB stick. As this is a single stick of RAM, you have the option to max out the motherboard's allowable RAM of 16GB. $59

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB - This should be enough. $69

Optical Drive: HP Multiformat DVD writer Black SATA Model 1260I-H06 - A basic drive. $19

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You need this. $94

Grand Total: $902

3939.png

#3 d0z3r

d0z3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:25 AM

Would it just be a good idea to use crossfire on two Radeon HD 6850 in the future or would it be worth it just to buy one better card? I know I have used some of nvidia's cards that were better and fit in a mid tower but it's a lot more expensive! Oh, and I already have Windows 7 Professional. Thank you for a very fast reply.

Edited by d0z3r, 17 November 2010 - 09:28 AM.

Customer: I'm running Windows '98
Tech: Yes.
Customer: My computer isn't working now.
Tech: Yes, you said that.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

In regards to the GPU size issue, both sets of makers have cards of varying length depending on the card in question, I believe the Radeon 5850 is about 9.5 inches, but there are other card models and some have coolers that may slightly shorten the card. Cards really do vary in length quite a bit, I could fit one of the first generation 8800 GTS 640MB cards into my mid-ATX Lian-Li case, but the next highest performing card, 8800 GTX, would not by about an inch or so. Mid-ATX cases just aren't designed for multi-GPU setups or extreme performance cards, you would need a full-ATX case for that. Two 6850's in Crossfire, not suggested with this motherboard and case, would be extremely powerful, but it is entirely up to you if you believe the performance gains are worth it. Keep in mind that not all games scale equally with multi-GPU setups, some may perform better than others. If you're not sure on using Crossfire, get a single card and play some games, if they perform fast enough, stick with what you have, if not, buy another card. By the way, AMD's new 6900 series of graphics cards are due out in a few weeks.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users