Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After installing Norton AV 2011, Windows wont boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrBiggles

MrBiggles

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:47 PM

Yesterday, i installed norton onto my family computer, which runs Windows SP3. I had already done this with my laptop(which I am having to use now), so I knew what to expect. I also decided to renew my subscription. At the time, everything worked, but within two hours my brother came and told me the speakers had stopped working. After a minute of tinkering with them, I got them to work again, but now in the control panel it says no audio device available. huh. ok. A few hours later, the same thing happened. I told my brother to reboot the computer, but by this time it was around 1 am, so he decided to just shut it down and go to bed. This morning, he woke me up, saying the computer wouldnt boot. I tried rebooting several times, and so far, nothing. Right after the initial boot screen, i get 3 system beeps, and windows doesn't even try to load. No splash screen, nothing. I can't even boot in safe mode. I can go to setup, and I can change boot device, otherwise, it just goes to a black screen. Also, the usb mouse stops working as soon as the initial boot screen goes away. Before yesterday, none of this was a problem. If anyone can give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

Hi MrBiggles, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

It would help if you were to provide us with the make and model of this computer.

Do you have the installation CD for this operating system?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:38 PM

Try reseating the memory and video card (assuming this is not a laptop)
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 MrBiggles

MrBiggles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:57 AM

It's an older Acer model, the innards are kinda last minute thrown together bits. I have unplugged everything from the back and plugged it in one by one. seems that every time i connect a usb device, i get a system beep. 2 usb=2 system beeps. I got a Ubuntu livedisk usb, and put that in, and can boot with it, but it causes a system beep as well. i am utterly confused, since the only new hardware or software that has been added was norton, and it didnt do anything like this when i installed it on my laptop(which runs windows 7). nothing else causes a system beep, but even when only the monitor is connected, windows wont boot. No, unfortunately, I dont have the cd for it.

Edited by MrBiggles, 17 November 2010 - 11:59 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

I will ask once more that you post the model of this Acer.

Which of these did you install?

* Norton AntiVirus 2011 for Windows XP/Vista/7
* Norton Internet Security 2011 for Windows XP/Vista/7
* Norton AntiVirus 2010 for Windows XP/Vista/7
* Norton Internet Security 2010 for Windows XP/Vista/7
* Norton AntiVirus 2009 for Windows XP Home/XP Pro/Vista
* Norton Internet Security 2009 for Windows XP Home/XP Pro/Vista
* Norton AntiVirus 2008 for Windows XP Home/XP Pro/Vista
* Norton Internet Security 2008 for Windows XP Home/XP Pro/Vista
* Norton 360 version 4.0 for Windows XP/Vista/7
* Norton 360 version 3.0 for Windows XP/Vista
* Norton 360 version 2.0 for Windows XP/Vista
* Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0
* Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12.0

Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Edited by dc3, 17 November 2010 - 01:38 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 MrBiggles

MrBiggles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

I checked the paperwork, and apparently its not an Acer (my bad), just a kit put together by a local computer store. It runs the 32-bit version of XP. Originally Norton AntiVirus 2009 for XP home was installed, but when we upgraded to Antivirus 2011 (for XP) the problems started. If you want, I can post the info for motherboard/vid card/etc

Edited by MrBiggles, 17 November 2010 - 08:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users