Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wuauclt.exe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jay21317

jay21317

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

so the first thing i do is turn my computer on and log into my computer account and then i open the task manager and i notice a program called wuauclt.exe running and it will run for quite some time anyway iv notice it using up to 20k or more of mem usage and when i did a search on it and i havnt found anything concrete on it iv scanned the computer both in normal mode and in safe mode with Microsoft security essentials and malwarebytes and neither picked anything up so i did a computer search for the file and i found 4 one is a prefetch file the other 3 are in different areas one is in c:\windows\system32 ( it also doesnt have an icon for it its just a white screen with a blue boarder on top with ...) the second one is in c:\windows servicepackfiles\i386 and the last is in the folder c:\windows\softwaredistrabution\download\9866fb57abdc0ea2f5d4e123d055ba4e

so any ideas?

if its all ligit or not?? the one with out any icon and in the system 32 folder the windows search says it was created 8\6\09 but when i right click and click properties it says
it was created november 12 2010 the other 2 have dates for 08

oh and i just formated this machine the other day

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:23 PM

Google Hits

Windows Update Auto Update CLienT

I would think that it would be a normal expectation to have the Windows Update function running on systems using auto update and/or windows update.

My Task Manager reflects this file, with a size of 4,100k. It's normal for key system files...to be duplicated in Service Pack locations.

Louis

#3 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

wauclt.exe is the Windows Automatic Update client, the system32, is supposed to be there, the others I do not know about. One is probably the installer in tehs ervice pack.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5091346_wuaucltexe.html

#4 jay21317

jay21317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

thanks for your help iv been rather concerned with my computer a month ago my hotmail was hacked iv had the computer formatted at least a dozen times dont nkow what else to do

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

Well...I suggest...focusing on problems that are evident...rather than looking for suspects where there may be none.

In your own opinion...is there anything wrong with the system as far as functioning is concerned? If so, please provide details.

What is the reason that you are even bothering to examine...what's reflected in Task Manager?

Louis

#6 jay21317

jay21317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

i havnt really seen a big problem but it was using alot of memory usage

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

Memory is made to be used...as is every other component in a system.

When performing functions...such as running programs...memory usage should be maximized, depending on what is running.

Speaking of memory...how much is installed in this system?

How did you determine...what "a lot" of memory usage might be? Any error messages? Any problems doing whatever it is that you do...on the system?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users