Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking Information on the (No Subject) Emails

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vertigoelectric

vertigoelectric

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

I've been doing a little research, but have only found very little information on this. I first noticed it when I logged onto my old Hotmail account last week. I saw several emails from friends with the subject as "(No Subject)". In the email was simply a very suspicious link, and all of my friend's contacts were in the CC field. Obviously I didn't click on the link.

My very first thought was that my friend's account was hacked and someone was sending out this spam to their contacts. However, having this happen to multiple friends, none of which know each other, almost completely removed that theory from the realm of possibility. It must be something else.

Later on I got a couple of these emails from my wife's old yahoo account. She doesn't even use it any more. We both use Google. The only thing I can think of is that she did log onto the account and deleted a bunch of stuff. She didn't click any such links or anything. I do believe she did this just before I received the emails, but I could be wrong.

In my research, I've found people talking about some "Yahoo email" worm/spam. So far, these people seeking answers such as myself have only been told to do things such as virus scans and changing passwords. I've found no real useful information about this.

Another thing I need to point out is that it's not just Yahoo accounts. Among the accounts I received these emails from were addresses at hotmail and msn, as well.

I'm just looking to see if anybody can offer some useful information about how this "worm" works. My wife and I both run Avast on our computers, and I also know she doesn't click on random links in suspicious emails, so being able to understand this better would be very nice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:38 AM

Hijacked email accounts aren't uncommon. They normally will send spam to people listed in your contacts list. If they're from your accounts (or old accounts) you should scan the PC's with anti virus software. Try running a scan using Avast, and then download Malware Bytes to do a full scan with it, too.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

#3 vertigoelectric

vertigoelectric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

I realize it is not uncommon, but it seems that recently I have received several of these from a number of different friends all within a relatively short time period. Knowing that these friends don't know each other, and therefore are not in each other's contacts, it doesn't seem likely that this is a manual hijacking of accounts. There must be something automating this "virus spam".

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

You are aware that you can spoof email addresses right? So if your PC is infected they can easily spoof to those of your friends...

#5 vertigoelectric

vertigoelectric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

Yes, I am aware of that, but how do you figure that's what's happening?

Let's say that someone sends me an email using a spoof to show that it's coming from my wife. Okay. Sounds doable... but then the same email goes out to all of my wife's contacts. It takes more than just spoofing an address to get that kind of information.

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

I'm not understanding you. Its possible for an infection to get your contacts, then add those emails to an address list. It can then send emails "from" those accounts to anyone in the world.

Unless I'm miss understanding you, you're wanting to know how they can send random emails to everyone in your contact list? Short Answer: Virus.

Question 2: How can they make the emails appear from someone in the contact list? Short Answer: Spoofing.

Either you or your contacts are infected. If you are sure you're not then the spoofing from your end isn't what's causing it, however if you are infected then it would explain everything that you've said (and that I understood).

Sometimes they'll go one step more and actually hijack the email accounts without you knowing. Making it next-to-impossible for someone to tell if they're legit or not.

Scan your PCs and make sure you're not infected.
Change your email password(s)

Tell your friends to do the same.

Edited by NpaMA, 21 November 2010 - 08:33 PM.

#7 vertigoelectric

vertigoelectric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:50 PM

I guess it must be a virus, then. It was just strange that it was coming from multiple friends' accounts and they didn't get it from each other because they don't know each other. Guess it was a coincidence.

#8 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:31 AM

I guess it must be a virus, then. It was just strange that it was coming from multiple friends' accounts and they didn't get it from each other because they don't know each other. Guess it was a coincidence.

You saying "multiple friends that don't know each other" makes me think you're infected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users