Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will not boot after windows update.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drneves7

drneves7

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

First I will search what I can, but I am relegated to my phone for now. Shirt version of a long story...just did a clean install of vista on my computer, updates were just past service pack 2. While I was at work my computer updated and when I got home the pop-up to restart my computer was up. I repooted and now it will go through loading the BIOS then hangs at a blank screen with a blinking underscore.

I tried all I could think of...windows install disc does not see a windows installation. Not sure if I tried f-8 or not. But windows startup repair did not work and I did a fresh install on another hard drive and it cannot access the original hard drive. It shows up in storage management but is not able to read it...

This is the second computer to do this to me in 2 weeks...first one did this and I was not able to to boot it because it lost the raid drivers after it spontaneously started when I went to move it the other day. Spontaneously as in no where near the power button...it started and just boot cycled.

I really hope you a can help as my internet sucks it took me a week and a half to get everything downloaded and installed. I really hope it is not going to be 3 weeks to have a computer...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

hello,
try the f8 safe mode route..if you can enter safe mode. go to update history and uninstall the last updates, or use system restore as vista creates a restore point before installing any updates... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449 heres a link on system restore with command prompt...

good luck

Edited by keny111111, 16 November 2010 - 11:59 AM.

Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 drneves7

drneves7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:46 PM

Cannot access hard drive what so ever...does not seem to even be mounted. Have tried all the f key options takes me no where...system restore via install disc does not work says hdd is offline. Tried install just to see what it says and it tells me the hdd needs to ntfs format...so lost I do not get why a WINDOWS update would mess my WINDOWS OS...only thing installed besides drivers was WoW and FireFox took me a week to download WoW would like to avoid that if at all possible. Probably not the case though.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

What is the exact message...re NTFS and reformat option?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users