Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Screen on Startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mooremny

mooremny

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

Hi, I have a DELL Inspiron E1705 and when I try to start Windows XP, the computer may appear to stop responding (hang) with an empty, black screen immediately after the power-on self test (POST) is complete and before the Windows XP logo typically appears on the screen. I've tried rebooting in safe mode, last configuration, taking the battery out and many others. Nothing seems to work! Control Alt Delete just sends it back to POST and then a blank screen once again! I called Dell and they said give them $ & they'll answer my problem! Lol

Any ideas? Please? All my work info is on it and I need to get it up and running soon! Thanks for any advice!

PS! I was running spyware & AVG but it seemed to have gotten hung up overnight so I restarted the computer this morning due to it being frozen). Thus, I'm almost positive a virus initiated the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:57 PM

Hi, do you have an XP CD at hand?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 mooremny

mooremny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, should I try inserting the XP cd and rebooting?

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:47 PM

Hi, try this please:

• Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • When prompted to choose a windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open

Type the following lines and press enter after each line.

fixmbr

exit

Now try to reboot normally.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users